Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ricky Ho <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/23 19:13:19 UTC

Is there a single command to start the whole cluster in CDH3 ?

I setup the cluster configuration in "masters", "slaves", "core-site.xml",
"hdfs-site.xml", "mapred-site.xml" and copy to all the machines.

And I login to one of the machines and use the following to start the cluster.
for service in /etc/init.d/hadoop-0.20-*; do sudo $service start; done

I expect this command will SSH to all the other machines (based on the "master"
and "slaves" files) to start the corresponding daemons, but obviously it is not
doing that in my setup.

Am I missing something in my setup ?

Also, where do I specify where the Secondary Name Node is run.

Rgds,
Ricky

Re: Is there a single command to start the whole cluster in CDH3 ?

Posted by Hari Sreekumar <hs...@clickable.com>.
Hi Ricky,

         Which hadoop version are you using? I am using hadoop-0.20.2 apache
version, and I generally just run the $HADOOP_HOME/bin/start-dfs.sh and
start-mapred.sh script on my master node. If passwordless ssh is configured,
this script will start the required services on each node. You shouldn't
have to start the services on each node individually. The secondary namenode
is specified in the conf/masters file. The node where you call the
start-*.sh script becomes the namenode(for start-dfs) or jobtracker(for
start-mapred). The node mentioned in the masters file becomes the 2ndary
namenode, and the datanodes and tasktrackers are the nodes which are
mentioned in the slaves file.

HTH,
Hari