Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/16 22:38:59 UTC

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Any chance the commons-collections usage can be removed for this release?  This was brought up earlier and seemed to be supported.  The last I checked digester made a very minimal use of commons-collections anyways.  Other packages using digester don't need collections and it's a rather big dependency to carry around in addition to the recent 3.0 incompatible changes.

David

Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:
On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 04:52, Simon Kitching wrote:

> I only see *one* item as needing to be done prior to a release

Oh - and change the licence to version 2.0.

The email discussion about "permission to relicense" has died away.
I saw Craig's email saying it was ok, but nothing from the ASF
officially. If necessary, I could grep out all the @author tags and
check against the ASF contributors list....

I saw a few links to apps for auto-changing the license text. I'm happy
to do chase these down, run them & commit the updates unless there are
objections, or someone else prefers to do this.

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 16 Feb 2004, at 21:53, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> We still depend on BeanUtils, and BeanUtils currently depends on
> collections. Unless we wait for BeanUtils to make a new
> collections-independent release, we can't completely rid digester of
> the
> collections jar.

when craig or get some time, i expect that the dependency from
beanutils will also be removed (or at least factored into an optional
package).

- robert

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 16 Feb 2004, at 21:53, Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

> Robert, what are the plans for the next BeanUtils release? Should we
> delay the next Digester release until then?

beanutils is pretty much in the same boat as digester. (i've cut the
last few releases but i'm not willing to cut any more.)

- robert

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 10:38, David Graham wrote:
> Any chance the commons-collections usage can be removed for this release?  This was brought up earlier and seemed to be supported.  The last I checked digester made a very minimal use of commons-collections anyways.  Other packages using digester don't need collections and it's a rather big dependency to carry around in addition to the recent 3.0 incompatible changes.

Craig Mcc. committed changes to implement this just a few days ago for
the Digester code itself.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>:

> Any chance the commons-collections usage can be removed for this release?
> This was brought up earlier and seemed to be supported.  The last I checked
> digester made a very minimal use of commons-collections anyways.  Other
> packages using digester don't need collections and it's a rather big
> dependency to carry around in addition to the recent 3.0 incompatible
> changes.

I did indeed decouple commons-digester's direct dependency on collections.

Unless someone has fixed it already (I'm a week behind due to a trip where I
didn't have time to read Apache mail lists), BeanUtils still has a dependency
on commons-collections (for WeakHashMap primarily, IIRC).  It should be
reasonably easy to fix.

> David

Craig McClanahan

Re: [digester] release (was attribute substitution/variable expansion)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i think that craig has already handled this.

- robert