Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2005/11/05 13:49:18 UTC

Building a "wrapper" site for Velocity

With the upcoming release of Velocity 1.5 (and later 2.0), we will
have to find a way to offer multiple versions of the docs (first: 1.4
and 1.5, later: 1.x and 2.x) at the same time.

For Turbine and Torque, we've created a very small module in the SVN
called "site" which mainly contains a navigation, some general
information pages.

I've whipped together such a module for Velocity, it is currently
visible at http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/site/. Source is here on
my disk, not yet in Subversion.

The idea behind this is:

We get some pages that are completely independent from all
sub-projects. These can be the welcome pages for all Velocity sub-
projects. They contain a small "Welcome to Velocity" and some project
infos. This will be the information from the "Overview" menu.

We get a consistent, expandable navigation that allows us to add new
releases and also new subprojects in a consistent manner. We don't
need a big left menu any longer, because the sub projects build their
own menus from their xdocs. We tie the sites together through the
links on top (right).

There can be a defined directory tree for current development and
releases. In that site, this would be:

All pages directly under /velocity will become part of the site. This
is just the few wrapper pages.

All pages concerning the engine and that are built from the
velocity/core repository, move to .../velocity/engine

All pages concerning the tools stay at .../velocity/tools

All pages for dvsl stay at .../velocity/tools

Whenever a new release is made, the resulting tree is copied under
.../release/<subproject>. In each .../release/<subproject> directory,
there is an index.xml file which points to the relases. These
directories and the index.xml file is part of the main site.

The Velocity 1.3.1 distribution is moved to
.../releases/engine/velocity-1.3.1

The Velocity Tools 1.1 distribution is moved to
.../releases/tools/velocity-tools-1.1

and so on.

The idea is, that we can have _current_ docs (under
.../velocity/{engine|tools|dvsl}) to continously develop the code and
also release version docs as reference for users using the code.
(under.../velocity/releases/<subproject>/<release>)

No more confusion whether the current doc tree is for the trunk or a
release. And we can publish the development docs more aggressively
because we don't really need to care whether the docs are up to date,
because the releases have their own doc trees.

We can also concentrate to put "Engine Docs" in the engine and global
Velocity docs (the "Overview" menu) into this site module.

Opinions? This might upset the current docs tree for a few days, but
in the long run, I'm sure that this will really pay off. We would also
be able to get rid of the "docs14" hacks in the site... :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: Building a "wrapper" site for Velocity

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
+1  this sounds great to me.  the example looks good too.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
By the way, I never did give feedback on this.  (It's been a busy couple of
weeks).

I like the concept.  As long as the home page contains good intro info "What
is Velocity" so that new users see this right away.

Presumably we would need to redo the format for the Velocity and Velocity
Tools sections to have consistent navigation.

As a more minor point, I'm not really fond of all those gray bars on
Henning's draft site.  Way too many.  Makes the content much harder to read.
The first page and a half could be cut by half without all the subsection
titles.   (specifically, "Web Applications", "Template based code", and
"Framework Integraton".  These should be bullet headings, not sections).

WILL