Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/02/22 07:45:24 UTC

[ANN] James v2.1.2 Released

James v2.1.2 has been released.  This release fixes a critical bug that
could result in a loss of messages from the outgoing spool under a specific
set of circumstances.  Users should upgrade to James v2.1.2 as soon as
possible.

The bug was discovered Thursday afternoon, with a nightly build to fix it
available Thursday evening.

James v2.1.2 can be downloaded immediately.  Some mirrors sites have already
picked up the new release.  Make sure that you download v2.1.2.

 mirrors: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/jakarta/james

James v2.1.2 also has improved MIME encoding of bounce messages, and better
handling of SMTP transport errors.

	--- Noel

RE: [ANN] James v2.1.2 Released

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Randahl,

It was introduced on Nov 10 during development of v2.1, and no one seems to
have noticed it.  I found it by accident when I was testing something else
on Thurs.

I do appreciate your caution.  Check your mailet log for connection
exceptions, and see if the message was ever delivered.

If you look at the change log for v2.1.1 and v2.1.2, you'll find the list of
changes. Except for log rotation, the majority are bug fixes of one sort or
another.  You can avoid the log rotation change, if you want, by keeping
your old environment.xml file.

	--- Noel

RE: [ANN] James v2.1.2 Released

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> when I read your message about the critical bug fixed in
> the 2.1.2a2 nightly release, so I upgraded to 2.1.2a2.
> Now, having 2.1.2 been released immediately after on
> saturday 22, I wonder if I should plan to upgrade to 2.1.2
> shortly or if I can stay safely on 2.1.2a2

James v2.1.2a2 and v2.1.2 are identical except for the HTML documenting the
release contents, and MX4J being disabled.  The code is identical.

Visit http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/.  cvs2cl.pl is a very nice script that
can give you a nice changelog.  I just ran it as:

  cvs2cl.pl -T -F branch_2_1_fcs --delta build_2_1_fcs:build_2_1_2_fcs

If we don't switch to use Maven, I may use cvs2cl to produce the change
logs, rather than do it manually.  You can see what the above command
generated by look at the JamesV2/Plans wiki page:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2/Plans

> I want to take the opportunity of this message to thank you
> and the other developers for the job you are doing and the
> time you spend on it.

Thank you.  :-)  And you're welcome.  We look forward to your continued
participation with James.

By the way, if you're not familar with
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesUsers, you might want to
take a moment and add yourself.

	--- Noel

RE: [ANN] James v2.1.2 Released

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
> James v2.1.2 has been released.  This release fixes a critical bug that
> could result in a loss of messages from the outgoing spool under
> a specific
> set of circumstances.  Users should upgrade to James v2.1.2 as soon as
> possible.
>
> The bug was discovered Thursday afternoon, with a nightly build to fix it
> available Thursday evening.
>
> James v2.1.2 can be downloaded immediately.  Some mirrors sites
> have already
> picked up the new release.  Make sure that you download v2.1.2.
>
>  mirrors: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/jakarta/james
>
> James v2.1.2 also has improved MIME encoding of bounce messages,
> and better
> handling of SMTP transport errors.
>
> 	--- Noel

Noel,

I had planned to upgrade last friday (February 21) my James server from
2.1.1a5 to 2.1.1, when I read your message about the critical bug fixed in
the 2.1.2a2 nightly release, so I upgraded to 2.1.2a2.
Now, having 2.1.2 been released immediately after on saturday 22, I wonder
if I should plan to upgrade to 2.1.2 shortly or if I can stay safely on
2.1.2a2 until either 2.1.3 comes out or some important bug fix is released:
in other words, which are the differences between 2.1.2a2 and 2.1.2 (I can't
see them from the changelog)?

Moreover, as today is one month since I switched the mail service of my
company to James, and I'm very happy of that, I want to take the opportunity
of this message to thank you and the other developers for the job you are
doing and the time you spend on it. It gives me the desire to contribute
somehow to it in the future. My appreciation goes also to the care given to
this list and its politeness.
If I had to summarize the reasons of my satisfaction with James, I would
mention the true simplicity, the flexibility allowed, the ability to keep
control of things happening, and the speed in finding and fixing problems.

Congratulations and thank you all,

Vincenzo