Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com> on 2006/01/05 16:18:36 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.54 randomly fails to serve index.html for single domainon multi-host server

If you have commented out all "DirectoryIndex" directives then apache falls back to the default "index.html". If the client then edits their site and - somehow - renames index.html to index.htm then apache will not find the index file and so will list the directory.

Double-triple check that users are not using some helpful editor that renames the index file....

As a fix for the future (since you'll never get them to stop it), actually start *using* the DirectoryIndex directive. It can take a list of names, eg:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Now, this isn't because index.html has been munged... because it is
> there. It just isn't being served by the web server as the
> default home
> page.
>
> This problem is, as far as I can tell, always confined to a single
> domain, and is consistent (as long as it lasts), i.e., 100 attempts to
> load the site produce 100 directory listings.
>
> What isn't consistent, is that it goes away after a few days (haven't
> retested any one domain long enough to see how long)... and
> usually pops
> up on another domain (had the problem reported a half dozen times over
> the past few months).
>
> Nothing I've done seems to make it go away - I removed a bunch of
> modules that I wasn't really using, in case there was some odd "side
> effect". I played around with the order of the DirectoryIndex
> listing. I
> commented out the DirectoryIndex item in the php apache config file...
> tried every trick I could think of; nothing works. Which is why I'm
> asking (again) here for advice.
>
> What does "fix" the problem, is symlinking index.htm to index.html ...
> no idea why the problem doesn't display itself with
> index.htm, but that
> seems to "cure" it. Rather reluctant to symlink every damned
> instance of
> index.html to an equivalent index.htm, but it looks like I
> might need to
> do that if I can't solve the problem otherwise.
>
> Tips? Pointers? Help?!?
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Leavitt
> Systems Admin
> Godmoma's Forge, LLC
> 831-295-3917
> http://www.godmomasforge.com/

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.