Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brent Andrewsen <th...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/10 21:35:24 UTC

Exception: at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.MessageBytes.toChars(MessageBytes.java:271)

Hello all,

I've been searching all morning online for clues to the cause of this stack
trace:

19:59:54,675 ERROR [CoyoteAdapter] An exception or error occurred in the
container during the request processing
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.MessageBytes.toChars(MessageBytes.java
:271)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.http.mapper.Mapper.map(Mapper.java:510)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.postParseRequest(
CoyoteAdapter.java:262)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(
CoyoteAdapter.java:146)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java
:307)
        at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java
:385)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:748)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(
ChannelSocket.java:678)
        at org.apache.jk.common.SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java
:871)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(
ThreadPool.java:684)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I'm running
SLES 9 (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server)
JBoss 4.0.3SP1 (uses Tomcat 5.5)
Apache/2.0.49 (with latest service packs from SuSE)
mod_jk/1.2.15
I'm using mod_jk sticky session load balancing (which works great!) for
requests to JBoss

As you'll notice from the jkmanager screen, one of the servers has quite a
few more erorrs than the other.

Worker Status for lb_jbossdownload
Type    Sticky session    Force Sticky session    Retries    Method    Lock
lb    True    False    3    Request    Optimistic

Name    Type    Host    Addr    Stat    F    V    Acc    Err    Wr    Rd
Busy    Max    RR    Cd
jbossdownload1    ajp13    server1:8009    137.65.244.106:8009    OK    1
1    10392    3    0     0     0    10
jbossdownload2    ajp13    server2:8009    137.65.244.109:8009    OK    1
1    10549    174    0     0     0    267

I've compared the configuration on the two systems to each other, been from
Google to JBoss forums to Java Forums and haven't found anything related to
this yet. Anyone have any ideas of where to look next or seen this before?

Thanks in advance
-Brent