Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by webmaster <we...@michaelmcgrady.com> on 2003/12/15 04:57:37 UTC

Dynamic DNS

I am trying to use my home computer for development and need to access a
running web server on the computer.  However, for some reason I cannot
access Tomcat using a http://[dynamic ip address] like.  I get a page
cannot be displayed error.  The same http://[dynamic ip address] works when
trying to open Tomcat on my localhost.  I used to do this without an
issue.  I don't know what has changed.  I got Windows XP instead of Windows
98 on my laptop.  Could that be it?  Any ideas why accessing a webpage on
my laptop should be an issue?

Thanks, Michael McGrady

LEGAL NOTICE

have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank you

Re: Dynamic DNS

Posted by Adam Fisk <af...@limepeer.com>.
Hi Michael-

Given that this is wandering into areas not quite related to Tomcat, we
should probably continue this discussion off list.  Feel free to e-mail
me directly at afiskatspeedymaildotorg (insert "@" for "at" and "." for
"dot").  You basically need to tell dynamic dns the external IP of your
modem and have your router forward traffic for you.

Best,

Adam

Re: Dynamic DNS

Posted by webmaster <we...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Hello, Adam,

Re: Dynamic DNS

Posted by webmaster <we...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Thanks, Adam,

This was more than helpful and is much appreciated.

Michael McGrady

At 08:17 AM 12/15/2003, you wrote:
>Adam Fisk <af...@limepeer.com>

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: Dynamic DNS

Posted by Adam Fisk <af...@limepeer.com>.

RE: Dynamic DNS

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
That sounds like NAT (Network Address Translation)
You need to work out what bit of hardware is doing it (usually the router connected to your incoming line) and re-configure it to forward the correct port(s) the the appropriate machines.

In effect NAT allows you to split a single public facing IP address so that different ports are handled by different machines, you create what appears to be one machine out of a small internal network, the approximate opposite of binding several ip addresses to a single machine.

Many domestic routers support NAT, though often with a limit to the number of ports that can be forwarded.

d.

Re: Dynamic DNS

Posted by webmaster <we...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Thanks, Martin, but I think the problem is that there is a subnet on a
wireless router that makes the true ip address of the tomcat running on
this machine immediately unavailable.  What I have to do is to find out how
to find the real ip address.  Getting one from a request object sent to a
foreign computer does not seem to work, as that seems to be an alias from
the isp that hides the true ip address as well.  Why the true ip address is
hidden by the isp is not clear.  Any ideas?

At 09:26 AM 12/15/2003, you wrote:
>//check $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml
>
><!-- Define a non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8081 -->
>
><Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
>
>port="8080" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>
>enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
>
>acceptCount="100" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
>
>useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>
>Regards,
>Martin

LEGAL NOTICE

you