Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/24 20:46:24 UTC

AOO 2 million?

Just checking the numbers:  we appear to be at 1.8 million for AOO 3.4
install downloads.

It might make sense to put out another story when we hit 2 million.
Maybe this can be combined with the piece on Symphony that Don was
working on?

-Rob

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Just checking the numbers:  we appear to be at 1.8 million for AOO 3.4
> install downloads.
>
> It might make sense to put out another story when we hit 2 million.
> Maybe this can be combined with the piece on Symphony that Don was
> working on?

Happy to do this...when I return from vacation...or maybe this weekend.
Let's aim to time it for Tuesday a.m. given the long holiday weekend in
USA.  :)

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Greg Roberts <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Great new guys. You guys ROCK! I got a chuckle out of your comment Rob.

BTW: I was reading some info on the LO wiki last night and found that they are working on porting to the Andriod system. So I thought that now that this team has an AOO release I might ask the question again about interest in porting an AOO rev to the Driod system?

________________________________
>> Just checking the numbers:  we appear to be at 1.8 million for AOO 3.4
>> install downloads.
>>
>> It might make sense to put out another story when we hit 2 million.
>

> why not! :)

OK. I'll work with Don on this.    But after this I suggest we only
note the downloads at 5 million intervals.  Otherwise we will spend
too much time writing news articles and too little time improving
OpenOffice.

A good problem to have ;-)

-Rob

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On May 26, 2012 8:37 PM, "drew jensen" <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 20:00 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.

> > downplayed
> > >
> > > Hi Ross,
> > >
> > > Then I would suggest you simply stop - it seems rather simple.
> >
> > Of course. Will we then have silence?
> >
> > Oh, and your welcome.
>
> I do appreciate what you did, and I would not be bothered if you did
> more to be honest, but I am ready to hear from others about more
> substance at this point.

+1000 (including your further comments below)

Ross

> For instance:
>
> How are strategic goals going to be set?
>
> What plans are there for addressing the changes happening with user
> computing platforms (web, mobile), or will they?
>
> There is a whole slew of real questions I don't hear being addressed = I
> see Kevin talking about a UX team and being chided for it, yet I read in
> emails that a QE lead is already selected, and I wonder - when did that
> happen?
>
> I read a few sideways remarks about patches in the LibreOffice group,
> removing dead code or instance - something that was talked about for
> years at OO.o but always no solution for lack of bodies - well, ok make
> your cracks but I want to know then how is this group going to deal with
> that, or will it?
>
> Put another way, it seems to me that most of the talk, indeed the work,
> is still reactive and not yet proactive and I would really like to see
> that start to change.
>
> //drew
>

> > Ross
> >

> > > //drew

I've

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On May 26, 2012 9:19 PM, "Rob Weir" <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM, drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 20:00 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> >> Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.

> >> downplayed

> >> Of course. Will we then have silence?
> >>
> >> Oh, and your welcome.
> >
> > I do appreciate what you did, and I would not be bothered if you did
> > more to be honest, but I am ready to hear from others about more
> > substance at this point.
> >
> > For instance:
> >
> > How are strategic goals going to be set?
> >

> In a volunteer project with varying priorities, strategy is more of an
> average of our individual interests than some a priori that we agree
> on.

Yes, but individuals can say "my interest and effort is in the area of..."

> > What plans are there for addressing the changes happening with user
> > computing platforms (web, mobile), or will they?
> >

> Where there is interest, volunteers make things happen.

Right, so let's have those volunteers speak...

> > Put another way, it seems to me that most of the talk, indeed the work,
> > is still reactive and not yet proactive and I would really like to see
> > that start to change.
> >

> Proactive talk is still just talk.  IMHO we need more action and less
> talk.  In fact lazy consensus, JFDI and CTR are designed to reduce
> unnecessary discussion.

We need action on community development too. The community is not
struggling, but more contributors are good (if only to mange natural
attrition). JFDI and CTR are only useful if there are people able to JFDI
and CTR.

Community development is about sending out positive messages.

Remember this thread is not about development strategy, it is about
marketing strategy.

Ross

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM, drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 20:00 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.

>> downplayed
>> >
>> > Hi Ross,
>> >
>> > Then I would suggest you simply stop - it seems rather simple.
>>
>> Of course. Will we then have silence?
>>
>> Oh, and your welcome.
>
> I do appreciate what you did, and I would not be bothered if you did
> more to be honest, but I am ready to hear from others about more
> substance at this point.
>
> For instance:
>
> How are strategic goals going to be set?

In a volunteer project with varying priorities, strategy is more of an
average of our individual interests than some a priori that we agree
on.  Of course, we might have short-term or median-term goals that we
collectively execute on.  But this particular project growing so fast
that long-term strategy is "whatever we do", since the stakeholders of
the project are constantly shifting.   We're not going to have a
stable "long term strategy" while we are still voting in PPMC members
every other day, and seeing new companies join every other week.  Not
a bad thing, just a reflection that stability of goals assumes a
stability of stakeholders.

> What plans are there for addressing the changes happening with user
> computing platforms (web, mobile), or will they?

Where there is interest, volunteers make things happen.  We see that
with the *BSD, OS/2 and Solaris ports.  If someone is interested in
testing with Windows 8 then we will support that.  There is nothing
magical here.  No one can compel volunteers to work on a particular
task,

> There is a whole slew of real questions I don't hear being addressed = I
> see Kevin talking about a UX team and being chided for it, yet I read in
> emails that a QE lead is already selected, and I wonder - when did that
> happen?

It didn't.  Maybe a language misunderstanding?

> I read a few sideways remarks about patches in the LibreOffice group,
> removing dead code or instance - something that was talked about for
> years at OO.o but always no solution for lack of bodies - well, ok make
> your cracks but I want to know then how is this group going to deal with
> that, or will it?

If someone wants to, they are welcome to remove dead code.  If someone
wants to do this, but doesn't know how, then they are welcome to ask
for assistance.  But I wouldn't assume that anyone wants to do that.
It sounds like dreadfully boring work.

> Put another way, it seems to me that most of the talk, indeed the work,
> is still reactive and not yet proactive and I would really like to see
> that start to change.

Proactive talk is still just talk.  IMHO we need more action and less
talk.  In fact lazy consensus, JFDI and CTR are designed to reduce
unnecessary discussion.

That said, if anyone feels unable to do something they want to do, for
lack of a documented "5-year plan for the project", then they should
speak up ;-)

-Rob

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-05-25, at 21:09 , Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> So....  maybe we just make a smaller announcement, via
>>> ooo-dev/ooo-users and social media for the 2 million mark, when we
>>> actually hit it.  Then for the larger Symphony announcement we also
>>> note the 1 year achievement as well as give an updated download count,
>>> 2.5 or 3.0 million, depending on when that is ready for release.
>>

>> +1
>
> +1
>
>> But I'd also ping the various journalists, to show them and thus the world, that AOO is not a flash in the pan, not fools' gold but the Real Thing, to which value can be added and even without that, used as valued.
>
> As a matter of fact downloads are very slightly diminishing from the
> announcement, and having those numbers public and certified by a
> trusted third party could make the difference.

I'm seeing this as the download count per day, looking only at
installer downloads:

05/07/12	28470
05/08/12	99148
05/09/12	128110
05/10/12	122781
05/11/12	107818
05/12/12	85471
05/13/12	93294
05/14/12	114311
05/15/12	115410
05/16/12	112302
05/17/12	105583
05/18/12	101209
05/19/12	76480
05/20/12	88578
05/21/12	118753
05/22/12	115414
05/23/12	113039
05/24/12	105471

So we had a peak day of 128,110, a couple of days after the release
announcement.  But now we're peaking at  113-118 thousand on weekdays.
 So still rather strong, I think.

In any case, more validation is always welcome.  So I've checked in
the script I used to generate these stats.  Anyone is welcome to
download, execute and review.   Enhancements are welcome as well:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/devtools/aoo-stats/aoo-stats.py

The script can be executed, assuming python in in your path, as:
python aoo-stats.py > output.csv

The CSV file can then be imported into Calc.  I find it useful to then
enable the 'auto filter' and filter to show only 'install' downloads.
 Creating a pivot table is useful s well.

-Rob

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK. I'll work with Don on this.    But after this I suggest we only
>>> note the downloads at 5 million intervals.  Otherwise we will spend
>>> too much time writing news articles and too little time improving
>>> OpenOffice.
>>>

>> this definitely makes sense...
>>
>> We might note that June 1 is the first anniversary OpenOffice with Apache.
>> Maybe the new DL stats announcement, if the timeline is right, might make
>> note of this and include a mention of how successful this new
>> environment/arrangement has been for OpenOffice. Just a thought.
>>

> It looks like we'll hit 2 million sometime tomorrow (Saturday).   If
> we wait until June 1st (Friday) we'll be around 2.5.  But announcing
> on Friday is not good for getting press attention.  And if we wait
> until the next week, June 4th, then we'll almost be at 3 million.

Just checked and we're at 1.98 million.  So we'll hit 2 million later
this evening.   I'll start the write-up.

-Rob

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 21:46 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> It looks like we'll hit 2 million sometime tomorrow (Saturday).   If
> >> we wait until June 1st (Friday) we'll be around 2.5.  But announcing
> >> on Friday is not good for getting press attention.  And if we wait
> >> until the next week, June 4th, then we'll almost be at 3 million.
> >>
> >> So....  maybe we just make a smaller announcement, via
> >> ooo-dev/ooo-users and social media for the 2 million mark, when we
> >> actually hit it.  Then for the larger Symphony announcement we also
> >> note the 1 year achievement as well as give an updated download count,
> >> 2.5 or 3.0 million, depending on when that is ready for release.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry, again I suppose I've missed stuff - what larger Symphony
> > announcement?
> >

> Don was working on something.  Check his posts.

Hi Rob

Yes indeed I have read read his posts on the subject along with the other emails in the thread(s).

For some reason I thought you where adding something beyond that, or
rather mentioning something other then that.

Thanks.

//drew

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> It would be good if we can find a way to distinguish those two
> scenarios when we enable the OOo 3.3 upgrades.  For example, a URL
> parameter, even if we don't use it in processing

We already have dedicated hostnames embedded in the suite (the one for
version 3.3 is update36.services.openoffice.org), so this is surely
technically feasible and it will enable multiple levels of statistics
(how many hits the update service -"Check for updates"- receives, how
many people actually go to the download page and how many of them
actually initiate the download). Which are all good to have, indeed.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

On 26/mag/2012, at 18:19, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 3.4

>>> Apache.
>>>>

>>> It looks like we'll hit 2 million sometime tomorrow (Saturday).   If
>>> we wait until June 1st (Friday) we'll be around 2.5.  But announcing
>>> on Friday is not good for getting press attention.  And if we wait
>>> until the next week, June 4th, then we'll almost be at 3 million.
>>>
>>> So....  maybe we just make a smaller announcement, via
>>> ooo-dev/ooo-users and social media for the 2 million mark, when we
>>> actually hit it.  Then for the larger Symphony announcement we also
>>> note the 1 year achievement as well as give an updated download count,
>>> 2.5 or 3.0 million, depending on when that is ready for release.
>>>

>> +1 on this.
>>
>> I think this approach would certainly steer us in the "future development"
>> direction and a bit away from tooting our own horn. Not that I think the
>> latter is a bad thing, but, it would be better to prevent the "flash in the
>> pan" business mentioned by Louis.
>>
>> As for the new climbing numbers -- well maybe some folks have been reading
>> reviews and wondering what AOO is all about. I wouldn't be surprised if
>> some of the latest downloads were from "new" customers.
>>

> I see it like this:  Analysts like Gartner were forecasting 2012 new
> PC sales of around 400 million units.  Let's say 1/2 of them need some
> sort of office-suite on them.  And suppose we have a market share of
> 10%, which is what optimistically OOo was at its peak.   So even if
> everyone in the world who wanted OpenOffice already had OpenOffice, we
> would expect 20 million downloads/year just from the new PC sales.
>
> But to get 20 million in a year would only generate around 55K
> downloads/day.   We're getting twice that.   So that suggests we're
> still getting strong downloads from upgrades on existing OOo
> installations as well as new installs on existing PCs.
>
> It would be good if we can find a way to distinguish those two
> scenarios when we enable the OOo 3.3 upgrades.  For example, a URL
> parameter, even if we don't use it in processing, to indicate that the
> user came to download.html via an upgrade, e.g.:
> http://download.openoffice.org?upgrade=3.3.0

Yea, it makes sense a lot of sense to me.

Roberto

--
====

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/24/2012 11:46 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Just checking the numbers:  we appear to be at 1.8 million for AOO 3.4
> install downloads.
>
> It might make sense to put out another story when we hit 2 million.

why not! :)

> Maybe this can be combined with the piece on Symphony that Don was
> working on?

yes...good idea!

Re: AOO 2 million?

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/24 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> Just checking the numbers:  we appear to be at 1.8 million for AOO 3.4
> install downloads.

Excelent! :)

> It might make sense to put out another story when we hit 2 million.
> Maybe this can be combined with the piece on Symphony that Don was
> working on?

Yes.

Albino