Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pierre Imbaud <pi...@saiph.com> on 2006/09/28 01:20:30 UTC

[users@httpd] suexec2 setup on Suse 10.1

Hello, folks, Im trying to make apache2 work on my box with suexec2.
Not familiar with apache2 (but configured, and works fine so far), and
I guess my questions are somewhat naive.
Oh, Im on Suse 10.1, with apache2-2.2.0-21
First: do I have to recompile apache2 to have this working? On start,
I have [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec2)
in my log.
apache2ctl -V|less
Server version: Apache/2.2.0
Server built:   May  2 2006 08:47:14
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:0
Architecture:   32-bit
Server MPM:     Prefork
   threaded:     no
     forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
  -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
  -D APR_HAS_MMAP
  -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
  -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
  -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
  -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
  -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
  -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
  -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
  -D HTTPD_ROOT="/srv/www"
  -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec2"
  -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd2.pid"
  -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
  -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/accept.lock"
  -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/apache2/error_log"
  -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/apache2/mime.types"
  -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/apache2/httpd.conf"

  suexec2 -V
  -D AP_DOC_ROOT="/srv/www"
  -D AP_GID_MIN=96
  -D AP_HTTPD_USER="wwwrun"
  -D AP_LOG_EXEC="/var/log/apache2/suexec.log"
  -D AP_SAFE_PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
  -D AP_UID_MIN=96
  -D AP_USERDIR_SUFFIX="public_html"

2nd question: do all compilation options, as documented in apache
documentation, like "--with-suexec-userdir=DIR", translate in these -D
options? And if not, is there a way to know after compilation which
options have been chosen?

3rd question: a lot of conditions must be fulfilled before suexec
(suexec2 here) is even accessed. Who does log what, in which log
files? specifically, is the suexec logfile written only by suexec?
do I find account for errors prior to launching suexec in the normal
log file?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[users@httpd] Re: suexec2 setup on Suse 10.1

Posted by Pierre Imbaud <pi...@saiph.com>.
Steve Swift wrote :
> 1.  We didn't compile anything to get SUEXEC running on a friends SUSE 9
> last year
was it apache2?
> 2. I can't help with compile options - I've never compiled it
> 3. Yes, the messages turn up either in the standard error_log for your
> host or in the suexec.log file
>
> I found a handy reference on the web of all the steps that suexec went
> through before actually executing the CGI.  I think we got stuck at step
> 13 longest!
But U dont give the handy reference! Was it the apache documentation?
Oh, I guess U forgot...
apache documentation seems fine indeed, makes U feel guilty U dont
find what U seek. But more often than not, a vital piece of
information is just too obvious to the authors to think its worth
saying.
Thanks anyway for your help, it sure helped.

Re: [users@httpd] suexec2 setup on Suse 10.1

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.

On 28/09/06, Pierre Imbaud <pi...@saiph.com> wrote:

> Hello, folks, Im trying to make apache2 work on my box with suexec2.
> Not familiar with apache2 (but configured, and works fine so far), and
> I guess my questions are somewhat naive.
> Oh, Im on Suse 10.1, with apache2-2.2.0-21
> First: do I have to recompile apache2 to have this working? On start,
> I have [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec2)
> in my log.
> apache2ctl -V|less
> Server version: Apache/2.2.0
> Server built:   May  2 2006 08:47:14
> Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:0
> Architecture:   32-bit
> Server MPM:     Prefork
>    threaded:     no
>      forked:     yes (variable process count)
> Server compiled with....
>   -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
>   -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
>   -D APR_HAS_MMAP
>   -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
>   -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
>   -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
>   -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
>   -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
>   -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
>   -D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=128
>   -D HTTPD_ROOT="/srv/www"
>   -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec2"
>   -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd2.pid"
>   -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
>   -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/accept.lock"
>   -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/apache2/error_log"
>   -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/apache2/mime.types"
>   -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/etc/apache2/httpd.conf"
>

>   suexec2 -V
>   -D AP_DOC_ROOT="/srv/www"
>   -D AP_GID_MIN=96
>   -D AP_HTTPD_USER="wwwrun"
>   -D AP_LOG_EXEC="/var/log/apache2/suexec.log"
>   -D AP_SAFE_PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
>   -D AP_UID_MIN=96
>   -D AP_USERDIR_SUFFIX="public_html"
>
> 2nd question: do all compilation options, as documented in apache
> documentation, like "--with-suexec-userdir=DIR", translate in these -D
> options? And if not, is there a way to know after compilation which
> options have been chosen?
>
> 3rd question: a lot of conditions must be fulfilled before suexec
> (suexec2 here) is even accessed. Who does log what, in which log
> files? specifically, is the suexec logfile written only by suexec?
> do I find account for errors prior to launching suexec in the normal
> log file?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

[users@httpd] Re: suexec2 setup on Suse 10.1

Posted by Pierre Imbaud <pi...@saiph.com>.
Pierre Imbaud wrote:
> Hello, folks, Im trying to make apache2 work on my box with suexec2.
> Not familiar with apache2 (but configured, and works fine so far), and
> I guess my questions are somewhat naive.
> Oh, Im on Suse 10.1, with apache2-2.2.0-21
> First: do I have to recompile apache2 to have this working? On start,
> I have [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec2)
> in my log.

I dont! it worked! right out of the box!
> 2nd question: do all compilation options, as documented in apache
> documentation, like "--with-suexec-userdir=DIR", translate in these -D
> options? And if not, is there a way to know after compilation which
> options have been chosen?

still dunno
> 3rd question: a lot of conditions must be fulfilled before suexec
> (suexec2 here) is even accessed. Who does log what, in which log
> files? specifically, is the suexec logfile written only by suexec?
> do I find account for errors prior to launching suexec in the normal
> log file?
The account they give is pretty clear

> Thanks in advance for any help.
problem solved, then