Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/15 21:32:35 UTC

ML Algos

Hi,

Can someone give details about the future work in ML algorithms (Inside
mllib folder).
Currently there are some basic algorithms implemented. Is there any roadmap
regarding what ML algorithms are required?

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
SVMs and Perceptrons are indeed similar.  Nonetheless, people still use
Perceptrons, so adding it would provide more options for people, and
implementing Perceptrons would be a good way to get hands-on experience
with the codebase.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I am interested.

--
Gowtham Natarajan

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Gowtham Natarajan

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Hi Rohit,

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Rohit Rai <ro...@tuplejump.com>.
Hi Ameet,

--

____________________________

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Dear Gowtham,

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Gowtham Natarajan

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Gowtham Natarajan

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Hi Gowtham,

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.
Ameet,

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
PMML is not on our near-term roadmap.  That being said, we'd welcome
contributions that extend our system to support it.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Paco Nathan <ce...@gmail.com>.
+1 ADMM

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Nat <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Google's deep learning architecture is indeed quite interesting.  Neither
MLlib nor MLI currently includes all of the components of this
architecture, but we intend to extend MLI in the upcoming months to contain
similar functionality.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Lijie Xu <cs...@gmail.com>.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Gowtham N <go...@gmail.com>.
Is anyone working on neural networks, ADM, Collaborative Filtering etc?

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 15, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Lijie Xu <cs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3) MLBase may require Spark to provide some new features for implementing some specific algorithms. Is there any? Or you have added some new fundamental features which are not supported in Spark-0.7?

On this particular aspect, we actually have a few small changes in 0.8 that are required in MLlib -- one is an improvement to the semantics of takeSample to allow over-sampling an RDD, and one is exposing each RDD's storage level as a public API so we can check whether it's cached and warn you otherwise. So it would be better to run this over 0.8 than 0.7. That said, you might be able to port many algorithms back to 0.7.

The plan is to release 0.8 this month, so it won't be too far away.

Matei

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Ameet Talwalkar <am...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Thanks for your email -- I've responded inline.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Lijie Xu <cs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quite interesting. I have some questions about this amazing project:
> 1) In "Logistic Regression -­‐ Weak Scaling", MLlib and VW run slower in
> each processor for fixed problem while data/machines are increasing. Could
> you explain which component causes this performance degradataion problem.
> Synchronization, network traffic, data partition or etc. ?

This is a good question, and to be honest, we still need to investigate
this further to get a better understanding of what's going on here.

> 2) What's the relationship between MLBase and GraphX?

Right now the two projects are being developed separately.  As of now
MLbase does not support graph-based functionality, though moving forward,
it would be quite interesting to extend the MLI to include graph-based
primitives and leverage GraphX as a runtime.

> 3) MLBase may require Spark to provide some new features for implementing
> some specific algorithms. Is there any? Or you have added some new
> fundamental features which are not supported in Spark-0.7?

As MLbase is a relatively new project, we have been developing MLlib and
MLI to be compatible with Spark-0.8.

Re: ML Algos

Posted by Lijie Xu <cs...@gmail.com>.

Re: ML Algos