Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Wai <bz...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/25 23:36:59 UTC

party,partygroup and relationships

Hello All,

Could someone tell me if a party or partygroup that is defined in ofbiz
_must_ have some sort of PartyRelationship with another party or partygroup
with a given role?

In short, does it make sense to have a party defined that has no
relationship to any other defined party or party group?

Thanks
Wai

Re: party,partygroup and relationships

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
Hi Wai!

As you point out, a party without a relationship has little value.
However (unless rolled into an atomic transaction, and perhaps even
then) you must create a party before you can create a relationship,
which uses a party_id as an external reference key.  So until that first
relationship is created, the party can (and must) exist on its own.

The only time I can think that such a party might be useful is in the
context of lead retrieval in the CRM context, where you may get a pile
of leads (from a trade show, advertisement, or whatever) and may want to
put them into the system for appropriate follow-up.  In that case, you
could either create them immediately with a bogus/temporary role (e.g.
"unqualified lead") or wait until there is a real relationship (like
"customer") to create the relationship or role.  Both methods are
defensible in my view, with their own pros and cons.

In any event there is likely to be some notes, lead source data, contact
info, and other stuff associated with the party, even if there is no
real relationship or role yet.

Don't know if that answers your question, but its all I could come up
with...
--
Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>
RidgeCrest Herbals, Inc.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
there is a to and from PartyRelationship to party.
in the demo data. Most use _NA_ for roles.
Most are for GROUP_ROLLUP.
There is an example for EMPLOYMENTS
For PartyRelationship.partyRelationshipTypeId
so at this time it is not universal in the demo data.
For my installation I use it extensively.
it is the top level determination to reduce the records you getting as
well as having a well define relationships between parties.

=========================

BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Wai sent the following on 8/25/2010 4:01 PM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
If you look in the demo data for the field you will find some the _NA_

BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Wai sent the following on 8/25/2010 2:36 PM: