Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/05 17:48:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Hi folks,

I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M1 Qpid ProtonJ2
release,
please give it a test out and vote accordingly.

The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/protonj2/1.0.0-M1-rc1/

The maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1218

Regards

P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
access the staging repo:

   <repositories>
     <repository>
       <id>staging</id>
<url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1218</url>
     </repository>
   </repositories>

The dependency for the client or the engine itself would then be:

   <dependency>
     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
     <artifactId>protonj2</artifactId>
     <version>1.0.0-M1</version>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
     <artifactId>protonj2-client</artifactId>
     <version>1.0.0-M1</version>
   </dependency>

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.
+1

- Checked checksum files
- Used the staged Maven repository to build examples in the unpacked bin
release archive
- Tried the Helloworld, and Send and Receive examples with ActiveMQ Artemis
2.16
- Used a Quiver arrow in p2p mode against qpid-proton-c receiver/listener
to measure throughput

Doing this, I noticed the following

- bin release archive does not have any README files for the examples, so I
had to download and look into the src archive for instructions
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Jiri Daněk

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 5 May 2021 at 18:48, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M1 Qpid ProtonJ2
> release,
> please give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/protonj2/1.0.0-M1-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1218
>
> Regards
>
> P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
> src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
> access the staging repo:
>
>    <repositories>
>      <repository>
>        <id>staging</id>
> <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1218</url>
>      </repository>
>    </repositories>
>
> The dependency for the client or the engine itself would then be:
>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>      <artifactId>protonj2</artifactId>
>      <version>1.0.0-M1</version>
>    </dependency>
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>      <artifactId>protonj2-client</artifactId>
>      <version>1.0.0-M1</version>
>    </dependency>
>

> --
> Tim Bish

+1

I checked things over as follows:
- Verified the signature and checksum files.
- Checked for LICENCE and NOTICE files in the archives.
- Used "mvn apache-rat:check" to check licence headers in the source archive.
- Ran the source build and tests on JDK11 (and checked CI for 16).
- Ran HelloWorld example using the staged client against Dispatch 1.15.0 and
  Broker-J 8.0.4 (once configured for anonymous access as the example needs it).

I raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-2381 around the
lack of examples readme in the -bin archive. Plus it and/or the
examples needing updates around the auth bits it mentions. I might be
inclined to update the examples rather than readme in thinking more on
it while typing this, its good to show how that works and would save
e.g. reconfiguring servers that require auth.

I ran the example with the following (before noticing the repo/src
archive did have instructions to that end):
mvn clean package dependency:copy-dependencies -DincludeScope=runtime
-DskipTests
java -cp "target/classes/:target/dependency/*"
org.apache.qpid.protonj2.client.examples.HelloWorld

I ran into a protocol validation issue in Broker-J while doing so,
after I tried the example without the right queue created. I've raised
it as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-8523, though it might
also be worth looking at whether the validation can be loosened in the
specific case.

I also raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-2380 with
some areas of improvement for the frame tracing noticed while looking
into the above, some of which I knew from before but had forgotten, so
the JIRA was good as a reminder.

Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid ProtonJ2 1.0.0-M1 (RC1)

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
<small bump>

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/21 1:48 PM, Timothy Bish wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have put together a release candidate for a 1.0.0-M1 Qpid ProtonJ2
> release,
> please give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The source and binary archives can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/protonj2/1.0.0-M1-rc1/
>
> The maven artifacts are also staged for now at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1218
>
> Regards
>
> P.S. If you want to test it out using maven (e.g with the examples
> src, or your own things), you can temporarily add this to your poms to
> access the staging repo:
>
>   <repositories>
>     <repository>
>       <id>staging</id>
> <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1218</url>
>
>     </repository>
>   </repositories>
>
> The dependency for the client or the engine itself would then be:
>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>protonj2</artifactId>
>     <version>1.0.0-M1</version>
>   </dependency>
>   <dependency>
>     <groupId>org.apache.qpid</groupId>
>     <artifactId>protonj2-client</artifactId>
>     <version>1.0.0-M1</version>
>   </dependency>

+1

* Validated signatures and checksums
* Verified license and notice files in archives
* Checked for source license headers using 'mvn apache-rat:check'
* Built from source and ran the full test suite
* Built the client examples and ran against ActiveMQ 5, ActiveMQ Artemis
and Dispatch

--
Tim Bish