Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ken Morley <Ke...@jmtg.com> on 2007/12/12 21:57:03 UTC

Adjusting SA scores in 50_scores.cf...

I'm running SpamAssassin 3.2.3 and have been advised to increase the
score for URIBL_SBL to 5.0.  I see where it is defined in 50_scores.cf,
but I don't completely understand the format.

Mine shows:
score URIBL_SBL 0 2.468 0 1.499 # n=0 n=2

Is the last score (1.499) the one I should increase?  We are using both
Bayes and Network Checks and I do have
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL installed.

Thanks!

Re: Score all emails and delete some of them

Posted by "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.

MailScanner can do that (http://www.mailscanner.info)

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

RE: Score all emails and delete some of them

Posted by Tim Boyer <ti...@denmantire.com>.

> Does anyone know if there's a way to score *all* emails at
> the server with
> scores from 0-100, then delete all emails at the server with
> scores of over
> 10 and deliver the rest with the scores in the subject title please ?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Chris.

MimeDefang - http://www.mimedefang.org/

MimeDefang can reject at the SMTP level.

-- tim --

Re: Score all emails and delete some of them

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Chris wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a way to score *all* emails at the server with
> scores from 0-100, then delete all emails at the server with scores of over
> 10 and deliver the rest with the scores in the subject title please ?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Chris.

simscan for qmail can do that (although it rejects at smtp time rather
than deletes).

Regards,

Rick

Re: Score all emails and delete some of them

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:24:07 +0100
"Chris" <Ch...@011005.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there's a way to score *all* emails at the server
> with scores from 0-100, then delete all emails at the server with
> scores of over 10 and deliver the rest with the scores in the subject
> title please ?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Chris.

You used the thread subject:

  Adjusting SA scores in 50_scores.cf

to start a new message. Can you please start a new thread next time
instead of using an existing one? Thread soring in an email client gets
messy otherwise.

------
  _|_
 (_| |

Score all emails and delete some of them

Re: Adjusting SA scores in 50_scores.cf...

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Kelson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:58:42 -0800
> From: Kelson <ke...@speed.net>
> To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Adjusting SA scores in 50_scores.cf...
>
> John D. Hardin wrote:
> >    score URIBL_SBL 5
> >
> > Discussion of the advisability of a single poison-pill rule is for
> > another day, though if you *do* want to spamcan everything that hits
> > SBL you'd be better served doing it at the MTA layer as a regular
> > DNSBL test.
> >
> > Also, isn't SBL folded into Zen these days?
>
> The rule in question is a URIBL test,

Gah! I didn't even notice that. :(

  It is not the place of government to make right every tragedy and
  woe that befalls every resident of the nation.
 2 days until Bill of Rights day

Re: Adjusting SA scores in 50_scores.cf...

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
>    score URIBL_SBL 5
>
> Discussion of the advisability of a single poison-pill rule is for
> another day, though if you *do* want to spamcan everything that hits
> SBL you'd be better served doing it at the MTA layer as a regular
> DNSBL test.
>
> Also, isn't SBL folded into Zen these days?

The rule in question is a URIBL test, so it acts on domain names that
appear in the message body.  A standard DNSBL block at the MTA level,
whether just using the SBL or using Zen, would act on the IP address of
the sending server.

It's not just a matter of one method being more efficient than the
other.  They're looking at different data.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Adjusting SA scores in 50_scores.cf...

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Ken Morley wrote:

> I'm running SpamAssassin 3.2.3 and have been advised to increase
> the score for URIBL_SBL to 5.0.  I see where it is defined in
> 50_scores.cf, but I don't completely understand the format.

Don't change the distribution files. Alter scores in a local.cf file
in your local customer configuration directory, typically
/etc/mail/spamassassin/

> Mine shows:
> score URIBL_SBL 0 2.468 0 1.499 # n=0 n=2

Just put this into your local config file:

   score URIBL_SBL 5

Discussion of the advisability of a single poison-pill rule is for
another day, though if you *do* want to spamcan everything that hits
SBL you'd be better served doing it at the MTA layer as a regular
DNSBL test.

Also, isn't SBL folded into Zen these days?

  We have to realize that people who run the government can and do
  change. Our society and laws must assume that bad people -
  criminals even - will run the government, at least part of the
  time.                                               -- John Gilmore
 3 days until Bill of Rights day