Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/15 21:05:27 UTC

Read once input data?

Hi,

I see that an InputFormat's open() and nextRecord() methods get called for
each terminal operation on a given dataset using that particular
InputFormat. Is it possible to avoid this - possibly using some caching
technique in Flink?

For example, I've some code like below and I see for both the last two
statements (reduce() and count()) the above methods in the input format get
called. Btw. this is a custom input format I wrote to represent a binary
matrix stored as Short values.

ShortMatrixInputFormat smif = new ShortMatrixInputFormat();

DataSet<Short[]> ds = env.createInput(smif,
BasicArrayTypeInfo.SHORT_ARRAY_TYPE_INFO);

MapOperator<Short[], DoubleStatistics> op = ds.map(...)

*op.reduce(...)*

*op.count(...)*

Thank you,
Saliya
--
Saliya Ekanayake
Ph.D. Candidate | Research Assistant

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>.
I'll be interested to hear more about this when you implement it.

Thank you

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>
wrote:

> In my use case I though to persist the dataset to reuse on Tachyon in
> order to speed up its reading..do you think it could help?
>

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you. I'll check this
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Broadcasted DataSets are stored on the JVM heap of each task manager
>>> (but shared among multiple slots on the same TM), hence the size
>>> restriction.
>>>
>>> There are two ways to retrieve a DataSet (such as the result of a
>>> reduce).
>>> 1) if you want to fetch the result into your client program use

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>.
Thank you. I'll check this

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>.
Fabian,

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Flavio Pompermaier <po...@okkam.it>.
I also have a couple of use cases where the pin data sets in memory feature
would help a lot ;)

Re: Read once input data?

Posted by Saliya Ekanayake <es...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I'll check this.