Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/08/04 17:05:20 UTC

Re: junit task xml output omits failure message if it contains the word " more"?

On 2011-07-28, Bob Billings wrote:

> However, the Ant junit XML formatter strips off the first line with
> the failure message in any test failure where the failure message
> contains the word " more", resulting in just the "at ...." line
> remaining, which is what shows up in CruiseControl's email.

Oh my, it must have taken quite some time to identify the word "more"
has been the culprit.  Sorry, really.  Please open a bugzilla report for
this so knowledge is preserved and others don't have to hunt down the
same problem as well.

> I was wondering whether this qualifies as something worth fixing,
> since:

> - anybody using CruiseControl with Ant-run JUnit tests is fairly likely to
> run into it (it should be fairly common to fail a test when there are "more
> of X than there should be")
> - it's unlikely that anybody running into this problem will suspect the word
> "more" as the culprit
> - and even if they do know, it's hard to implement a policy of "Okay
> everybody, remember not to use the word 'more' in your failure messages."

I agree with you, in particular with the last point.

To make things worse the manual page of the junit task does not list
"more" as one of the strings that are filtered out.

As a workaround you can set filtertrace to false, of course, but this is
no real fix.

Stefan

Re: junit task xml output omits failure message if it contains the word " more"?

Posted by Bob Billings <di...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that would suit my purposes.  Seems like the first line is the only one likely to contain a space before the word " more" anyway, aside from the line we want to strip.

Bob

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Robert E. Billings III" <bo...@tekassoc.com>.