Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dennis German <dg...@Real-World-Systems.com> on 2010/10/08 21:26:47 UTC

spamc sometimes complains MISSING_MID sometimes not with same message

First an overview:
spamassassin 3.2.5; shared host ISP won't update spamassassin, setup is such that  SCORE keyword in user_prefs is ignored.
ISP will neither include      add_header all report _REPORT_   nor    add_header all testscores _TESTSSCORES(,)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have a script to
set ~/spamassassin/user_prefs to contain only:
     add_header all report _REPORT_
     add_header all testscores _TESTSSCORES(,)
take spam I received and  run spamc

then set ~/spamassassin/user_prefs to contain a large amount of SCORE entries I would have liked spamassassin to use,
including :
score MISSING_MID           3.7
run spamc again just to see what would have happened with my SCOREs.

This all works very nicely, usually.
++++++++++++++++++
Today I ran a particular message and the first run included:
 0.0 MISSING_MID            Missing Message-Id: header
in the report.
The second run did not mention MISSING_MID.

I reran the script and this time the first run did not mention MISSING_MID in the report but
the second run included
 3.7 MISSING_MID            Missing Message-Id: header
in the report.

I have added various greps to the script referencing the message as well as user_prefs and
run the script with unpredictable results, that is any given run may or may not show MISSING_MID.
I was surprised to find one run where the
0.0 MISSING_MID            Missing Message-Id: header
in the report was the last score message as it is usually occurs after complaints of BLs and before HTML issues.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thank you,
Dennis German

Hello world, goodnight moon

Re: spamc sometimes complains MISSING_MID sometimes not with same message

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Dennis German wrote:

> spamassassin 3.2.5; shared host ISP won't update spamassassin, setup is
> such that SCORE keyword in user_prefs is ignored. ISP will neither
> include add_header all report _REPORT_ nor add_header all testscores
> _TESTSSCORES(,)

Bummer.

> Today I ran a particular message and the first run included:
> 0.0 MISSING_MID            Missing Message-Id: header
> in the report.
> The second run did not mention MISSING_MID.

And the message did not change between runs?

If you can figure it out, how is SA glued onto the MTA?

One possible course of action might be to install the current SA locally
under your account and run your mail through that for scoring (i.e. ignore
the results of the ISP's scan). Whether that's an option depends on how
the ISP has SA glued into the MTA and how they handle delivery of
high-scoring messages.

   The difference is that Unix has had thirty years of technical
   types demanding basic functionality of it. And the Macintosh has
   had fifteen years of interface fascist users shaping its progress.
   Windows has the hairpin turns of the Microsoft marketing machine
   and that's all.                                    -- Red Drag Diva
  70 days until TRON Legacy

Re: spamc sometimes complains MISSING_MID sometimes not with same message

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
  On 10/8/10 3:26 PM, Dennis German wrote:
> First an overview:
> spamassassin 3.2.5; shared host ISP won't update spamassassin, setup is such that  SCORE keyword in user_prefs is ignored.
[snip]s after complaints of BLs and before HTML issues.
> Has anyone seen this behavior?
as in:
A) ISP's that won't update spamassassin?
B) This behavior on YOUR specific ISP, with THEIR specific configuration?

Its kinda like saying you use a phone provider that you don't like and
sometimes it echos and asking if anyone else has echos.

If the ISP isn't set up right, and won't let you use user-prefs, there
is no telling what else they did.

I suppose you can't post the spamd options they use when they start SA?
what about the contents of the ../share/mail/spamassassin directory?

the default local.cf?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008