Posted to java-commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2011/11/18 22:34:07 UTC

[Lucene-java Wiki] Update of "LuceneFAQ" by GrantIngersoll

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-java Wiki" for change notification.

The "LuceneFAQ" page has been changed by GrantIngersoll:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ?action=diff&rev1=152&rev2=153

Comment:
draft of verbiage around Zend Search Lucene

  Lucene is Doug Cutting's wife's middle name, and her maternal grandmother's first name.

  ==== Are there any alternatives to Lucene? ====
- Besides commercial products which we don't know much about there's also [[http://www.egothor.org|Egothor]]. Also check the list of [[http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneImplementations|Lucene implemenations]].
+ Besides commercial products which we don't know much about there a variety of other open source search engines available.  We suggest searching the web to find out more. Also check the list of [[http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneImplementations|Lucene implemenations]].
+
+ ==== How does Zend Search Lucene Relate to Lucene? ====
+
+ Zend Search Lucene is not at all related to the Apache Lucene project, despite the attempt to relate itself to the Lucene project via it's name.  It, and other attempts at porting Lucene to other languages, outside of the ASF are not supported by the ASF.  The ASF currently supports ports of Lucene to Python and .NET.  As far as we can tell, Zend Search Lucene was at one point in time a Lucene index file format compatible implementation of a search engine in PHP.  It's performance characteristics and APIs are significantly different from
+  Apache Lucene.  If you are using Zend Search Lucene, please ask your questions about it in the Zend forums.

  ==== Does Lucene have a web crawler? ====
  No, but check out [[http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/|Nutch]] and the [[http://java-source.net/open-source/crawlers|list of Open Source Crawlers in Java]].