Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Senefsky <ms...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/08 23:04:01 UTC

Newbie Help (the sequel)

Greetings all...

Thanks to all who responded to my configuration problem (Newbie Help).

My test directories all work fine:
http://www.modeforge.com/examples/jsp/index.html
http://www.modeforge.com/examples/servlets/index.html

But anything I put into Apache htdocs gives me a 404 error.
I looked at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.html

But I don't understand.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Re: Newbie Help (the sequel)

Posted by Nitin Borwankar <ni...@borwankar.com>.
Hi Mark,

If you want to have content served both by Apache and Tomcat (usually
dynamic JSP/Servlet content served by Tomcat, static by Apache) you have
to understand at least all of the foll (and possibly more)

a) Apache configuration - directory and URL mapping for content served
by Apache
b) Apache-Tomcat Configuration in httpd.conf to make Tomcat work with
Apache
c) Tomcat servlet mapping rules and context entries in server.xml and
web.xml

Then

d) Make sure a certain pattern isn't inadvertently being mapped in both
the Apache and Tomcat rules set up by you.

I think you need to understand a) better and then do d).  Look at the
Apache docs, then go through your entries in Apache .conf files and
Tomcat .xml files with a fine tooth comb.

Drink lots of liquid and take frequent breaks lest your brain explode!

Good Luck,

Nitin Borwankar,
nitin@borwankar.com