Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by the666pack <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/17 20:25:01 UTC

JVM OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

hello,

i try to performance test the geronimo applicatoin server but after 2
minutes of testing the JVM hangs up and i get the following message on the
command line:

my customized options for the jvm are:

-server -Xms1280m -Xmx1280m -XX:PermSize=1280m -XX:MaxPermSize=1280m

so this should be sufficient for the heap! unfortunately at 40 simultaneous
calls the JVM hangs and i just can kill it via the system call!

i also observed that the memory is not allocated, there is still plenty of
memory left (at least 3/4 of my 2048m) and it does not change the size also
not with more requests. but after 2 minutes->crash!

also my call is fairly simple: it is a single call to a JSP page which just
returns the date. so this really should be possible. but i cannot see the
reason for the Exception anymore!

so if anyone can help, PLEASE!

thanks,

mario.

Re: JVM OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 17, 2008, at 2:25 PM, the666pack wrote:

> hello,
>
> i try to performance test the geronimo applicatoin server but after 2
> minutes of testing the JVM hangs up and i get the following message
> on the
> command line:

> my customized options for the jvm are:
>
> -server -Xms1280m -Xmx1280m -XX:PermSize=1280m -XX:MaxPermSize=1280m
>
> so this should be sufficient for the heap! unfortunately at 40
> simultaneous
> calls the JVM hangs and i just can kill it via the system call!
>
> i also observed that the memory is not allocated, there is still
> plenty of
> memory left (at least 3/4 of my 2048m) and it does not change the
> size also
> not with more requests. but after 2 minutes->crash!
>
> also my call is fairly simple: it is a single call to a JSP page
> which just
> returns the date. so this really should be possible. but i cannot
> see the
> reason for the Exception anymore!
>
> so if anyone can help, PLEASE!

Mario,
What version of Geronimo are you using?

If you're using the Sun VM and have a small application, then rerun
with the following options:

export JAVA_OPTS="-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:
+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

You can then use tools like YourKit to analyze the resultant .hprof
file. Recommend you must let max heap default (otherwise you end up
with a really large heapdump). If you can make the heapdump available
to me, I'll have a look... Or give me instructions on how to recreate,
and I'll see if I'm able to generate the same problem.

--kevan

Re: JVM OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>.
the666pack wrote:
> i have to reply to my own message..
>
> somehow i realized that in the geronimo-console for the JVM is still
> written:
>
> Total Memory Allocated  	63,56 MB
>
> and as soon as the size is reached the JVM hangs.
>
> so it seems that my environment settings (JAVA_OPTS or GERONIMO_OPTS) are
> not recognized? how can i set the jvm size according to my given values
> without these env variables?

You can put a executable file called setenv.sh/bat (depending on system)
in geronimo/bin and put your variables in that file. G:s startup script
will execute the file during startup of the server.
My setenv.sh looks like this
#!/bin/sh

JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms128M
-Xmx512M -server -Dorg.apache.activeio.journal.active.DisableLocking=true"

Hope this helps
regards
   peter p

Posted by the666pack <ma...@gmail.com>.