Posted to marketing@couchdb.apache.org by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net> on 2015/09/20 03:26:52 UTC

The Future of Couch: [Was: The future of couchapps]

I just spent a little time comparing "Cloudant Local" with CouchDB - and
in addition to ongoing support for CouchApps, it seems like Cloudant
Local supports geospatial functions as well.  Which leads me to wonder
two things:
- Whatever happened to geoCouch?
- What's the general direction of the CouchDB ecosystem.  Are we seeing
Cloudant diverge from Couch, with IBM-supported features not making
their way back into the open source version of Couch?

Miles Fidelman

Re: The Future of Couch: [Was: The future of couchapps]

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mf...@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> - Whatever happened to geoCouch?

It's fine and AFAIK, @vmx is working on make it compatible with 2.0.
Cloudant didn't declare that feature they want to contribute. AFAIK,
again.

> - What's the general direction of the CouchDB ecosystem.  Are we seeing
> Cloudant diverge from Couch, with IBM-supported features not making their
> way back into the open source version of Couch?

We'll the other so far: Cloudant goes to be CouchDB 2.0 + extra
features, which they cannot open source now (like chained map/reduce),
or which we cannot include by default (like FTS because of Java). The
general direction in 2.0 era is to make CouchDB scale and extend
right, and find a balance between needs of regular and enterprise
users on that domain.

--

Re: The Future of Couch: [Was: The future of couchapps]

Posted by Johs Ensby <jo...@b2w.com>.
Miles,
the question you are asking about IMB-supported features was answered a year ago according to http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/software-platforms/ibm-cloudant-will-power-local-data-centers-apple-apps/d/d-id/1316965 <http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/software-platforms/ibm-cloudant-will-power-local-data-centers-apple-apps/d/d-id/1316965>
An confirmation that this is the case from Cloudant wold be good.

"CouchDB 2.0 is essentially the code that Cloudant already runs, and once 2.0 is out, the Cloudant team will be working directly against Apache repositories and all of our bug-fixing and improvements will go directly to CouchDB," said Bob Newson, a senior engineer at Cloudant who is a member of the Apache CouchDB Project Management Committee, in a phone interview with InformationWeek. "Our thrust over the last year has been to consolidate the code bases because we don't want forks, and the only things in Cloudant that won't be in the Apache offering will be the proprietary bits we add on to manage the service."

Your question "Are we seeing Cloudant diverge from Couch" is as interesting to me to get an answer to as the comment I am getting on Jan's "watch me".
I really need to see a clear policy on this.

Johs