Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by William Biggs <kc...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/01 05:07:10 UTC

setup

I just installed tomat 5.5 on my Fedora <http://www.fedoraproject.org/> 5
box it is up and running . I would like to know how to add a user for the
admin page ? and aloso I would like to know where the webapps/ROOT/index.jsp
is ?

Re: setup

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chuck,

On 5/1/07, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
> > From: Rashmi Rubdi [mailto:rashmi.sub@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: setup
> >
> > > and aloso I would like to know where the webapps/ROOT/index.jsp
> > > is ?
> > >

> > By default, it is under Tomcat's webapps/ROOT/ folder , in my instance
> > of Tomcat 5.5.x
>
> Well, not really.  The source to index.jsp is there, but the .jsp is
> precompiled and the resulting class (what's really executed to generate
> the default Tomcat home page) is in
> webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/catalina-root.jar.  If you actually want to use
> index.jsp, you must get rid of the jar and remove the servlet mapping in
> webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml.

You are right. I just looked at what appeared on the surface.

You've made a very good observation.

> Note that in 6.0, index.jsp (and the jar)
> is replaced by an index.html file.
>
> > Other possible location would be defined in the docBase of ROOT.xml
> > file , which may be located at Tomcat's conf/Catalina/[Host]/ROOT.xml
>
> There is no conf/Catalina/[host]/ROOT.xml in a standard Tomcat download.
>
>  - Chuck

-Regards
Rashmi

RE: setup

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Rashmi Rubdi [mailto:rashmi.sub@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: setup
>
> > and aloso I would like to know where the webapps/ROOT/index.jsp
> > is ?
> >

> By default, it is under Tomcat's webapps/ROOT/ folder , in my instance
> of Tomcat 5.5.x

Well, not really.  The source to index.jsp is there, but the .jsp is
precompiled and the resulting class (what's really executed to generate
the default Tomcat home page) is in
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/catalina-root.jar.  If you actually want to use
index.jsp, you must get rid of the jar and remove the servlet mapping in
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml.  Note that in 6.0, index.jsp (and the jar)
is replaced by an index.html file.

> Other possible location would be defined in the docBase of ROOT.xml
> file , which may be located at Tomcat's conf/Catalina/[Host]/ROOT.xml

There is no conf/Catalina/[host]/ROOT.xml in a standard Tomcat download.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: setup

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi William,

On 4/30/07, William Biggs <kc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed tomat 5.5 on my Fedora <http://www.fedoraproject.org/> 5
> box it is up and running . I would like to know how to add a user for the
> admin page ?

Under  Tomcat's folder /conf/tomcat-users.xml is where the users are
defined. The file already contains entries that show examples of
syntax.