Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/19 16:05:26 UTC

[PROPOSE] RM for 4.14

Hi All,

I’d like to put myself forward as release manager for 4.14. The
4.14 releases will be the next major version LTS release and will
be supported for 20 months per the LTS manifesto [2].

I'll have support from Rohit/Daan/Paul during the process and anyone else
interested is most welcome to join the effort.

The proposed timeline (possibly a bit too ambitious) is as follows:

######################################
24.Jan 2019               -->   Code freeze
31.Jan-07.Feb 2019     -->   Cut first RC
21.Feb 2019+             -->   Release
######################################

As usual, kindly note the following "behaviour" to be in place
(pretty much copy/paste from the related 4.11 email from Rohit):

######################################
1. After the freeze date (expected 24th Jan) until GA release, features
will not be allowed and fixes will be only as long as there are blocker
issues outstanding. Fixes for other issues will be individually judged on
their merit and risk.
2. RM will triage/report critical and blocker bugs for 4.14 and encourage
people to get them fixed.
3. RM will create RCs and start voting once blocker bugs are cleared and
baseline smoke test results are on par with previous 4.13 smoke test results
test results.
4. RM will allocate at least a week for branch stabilization and testing.
At the earliest, on 31st January, RM will put 4.14.0.0-rc1 for voting from
the 4.14 branch, and master will be open to accepting new features.
5. RM will repeat 2-4 as required. Voting/testing of -rc2, -rc3 and so on,
will be created as required
6. Once vote passes - RM will continue with the release procedures [1].

I’d like the community (including myself and colleagues) to:
- Up to 24th January, community members try to review, test and merge
as many fixes as possible, being super-diligent to not de-stabilize the
master branch.
- Engage with gatekeepers to get your PRs reviewed, tested and
merged (currently myself, Rohit, Daan and Paul, others are welcome to
engage as well). Do not merge the PRs
- A pull request may be reverted where the author(s) are not responding
and authors may be asked to re-submit their changes after taking
suitable remedies.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+Procedure
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/LTS
######################################
  --

Andrija Panić

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.14

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

4.13.1 and 4.14 are almost cooked - all outstanding PRs merged
(documentation is WIP) and automated tests on branches are running.

I'm looking forward to cutting RC1s early next week - 2 separate voting
threads for 4.13.1.0 and 4.14.0.0 releases - as proposed in another email
thread (all 4.13.1 fixes are forward merged to 4.14 as one would expect)

For the records, last 2-3 weeks were mostly spent on the blocker issues
(90% of that on the snapshot garbage left all over the place - PR 3969) -
and most of it has been fixed.

I have pinged some of you already - if you want to help, kindly check the
documentation PRs
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-documentation/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A4.14.0.0

Big thanks to everyone who helped so far with fixing the issues and testing!

Andrija

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [PROPOSE] RM for 4.14