Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2007/02/20 20:14:12 UTC

Debugging broken?

On either of my macs (both intel macs), when I debug the itests the
debugger hangs.  I've been fighting with this problem over the past
few months and now I'm at my wits end, so I'm hoping someone here can
help.

First, I'd like to know if others are having this problem.  To
reproduce the problem, simply add
org.apache.openejb.SomeoneBrokeSurefireAndThisIsADirtyHackForItTest
to your debugger.  You will need to add the following vm property:

   -javaagent:target/openejb-javaagent-3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar

And it should execute in the container/openejb-core directory.  At
this point, you should be able to "run" the test without debugging
and everything should pass.  Then simply drop a breakpoint in
CmpContainer.findEJBObject(..) after the line "List<Object> results =
cmpEngine.queryBeans(callContext, callMethod, args);" (line 638 in
the current copy).

When you debug the process, OpenEJB will startup and the vm will
"stall" at the breakpoint, but the vm will not "break".  If you press
the pause button, you will see that the vm is waiting at the break
point, but since the vm didn't officially "break" it you can not
inspect variables.

I have seen this in IntelliJ 5, 6 and Eclipse.  Lately, I've started
having the VM hang at without any breakpoints in the OpenJPA code
that creates tables.  Also, I have seen the VM hang after all tests
pass and the VM is halting.

So can anyone else reproduce this, and does anyone know why this is
happening.  I didn't think it was possible to write java code that
can hang a debugger.

-dain

Re: Debugging broken?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dain...

On 2/20/07, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:

> Mohammad,
>
> What IDE are you using?  Does the debugger actually stop at your
> breakpoint or did you have to "pause" the vm by hand?  Can you
> "drill" into the values of the local variables (i.e., expose the
> values of fields in instance classes)?

I am using Eclipse 3.2, Windows XP SP2, Intell machine. Yes the JVM stops at
the break point, and I can drill into the values of local and instance
variables.
I attached another image of my workspace.

-dain

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Debugging broken?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Mohammad,

Re: Debugging broken?

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dain...

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Debugging broken?

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Hi,

Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this problem. I am also
running on an Intel mac and I assume that we are using the same jvm
version:
java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks,
Gianny