Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Mark Wong <ma...@osdl.org> on 2005/08/08 20:27:10 UTC

tpc-app workload

Hi all,

Would there be any interest in putting together a test based on the
TPC-App specification?  (http://www.tpc.org/tpc_app/)  The specification
is designed to stress an application server.  We'd like to have a
workload to stress Java J2EE, but my Java skills are a bit lacking.  I
could certainly help with the database backend part though.

--
Mark Wong - - markw@osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation

Re: tpc-app workload

Posted by Mark Wong <ma...@osdl.org>.
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:26:16 -0400
toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:27:10AM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> > Would there be any interest in putting together a test based on the
> > TPC-App specification?  (http://www.tpc.org/tpc_app/)
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> What's involved here?  Is there a reference J2EE implementation or are
> you talking about writing one?  Sorry if this is a FAQ but it wasn't
> obvious from a quick scan of the 192-page word doc.

Hi Toby,

I'm not sure if I should say there's no reference or not.  There is some
sample code appended to the end of the spec, but I don't think it's a
complete implementation.  Yeah, it's not really a FAQ, it outlines
implementation and auditing details.  Unless someone wanted to do an
audited publication, you'd only have to worry about the former, which is
still enough in itself.  There's a recent TPC-App publication that is a
.Net implementation.  I'm told that C# is still close enough to Java
that it could be used as a reference.  I'm also talking with someone
about open sourcing part of their kit so that may cut down on some of
the writing.

Mark

Re: tpc-app workload

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:27:10AM -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> Would there be any interest in putting together a test based on the
> TPC-App specification?  (http://www.tpc.org/tpc_app/)

Hi Mark,

What's involved here?  Is there a reference J2EE implementation or are
you talking about writing one?  Sorry if this is a FAQ but it wasn't
obvious from a quick scan of the 192-page word doc.

Thanks,
Toby

Re: tpc-app workload

Posted by Mark Wong <ma...@osdl.org>.
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:37:13 -0400
Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> Mark Wong wrote:
>
> >Hi Matt,
> >
> >I took a quick look at the tradeTech.pdf in the zip file.  When you say
> >'internal processes', are you talking about with IBM and Oracle?  I ask
> >that because it appears to depend on DB2 or Oracle, and LoadRunner or
> >Workload Simulator.
> >

> The application is not dependent really on any specific database so it
> could use any database that uses SQL-92 syntax and has a JDBC driver.
> It is written as a J2EE application that is portable across multiple
> DBMSs as well as Application Servers.
>
> In terms of driving the workload one can also use jMeter as a driver or
> a simple URL generator and use the built-in TradeScenarioServlet which
> does the randomization within a set of constraints to get a consistent
> workload.

That's good, I was afraid you might hit too many roadblocks but it
sounds like you have it covered.

> >I'm looking to implement a fair-use implementation of the TPC-App with
> >J2EE to use PostgreSQL, initially, for the database.  I've have done
> >similar things at the OSDL with the TPC-C and TPC-H for PostgreSQL,
> >which are completely database centric, for performance testing.  I've
> >gotten some outside contributions to port to MySQL and SAP DB/MAX DB
> >too.  I do think the TPC-App is more interesting than Trade but the same
> >time more complicated.  We also have some hardware at OSDL that we may
> >be able to use to scale up a test.
> >

> I'm planning on continuing down the Trade path for now because its
> already J2EE and pretty much done except for the "internal" work to make
> it happen.  In the interim I'll take a look at TPC-App to get a better
> understanding of it.  How does it compare to TPC-W?

TPC-App is to be the be the successor to TPC-W.  It's supposed to be
easier to implement than the TPC-W, focus on the application server as
opposed to the database, and address other issues with the previous
spec.  I think one of the biggest complaints was that TPC-W was flawed
with respect to being able to (web) cache too much of the data.

Re: tpc-app workload

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Mark Wong wrote:

>Hi Matt,
>
>I took a quick look at the tradeTech.pdf in the zip file.  When you say
>'internal processes', are you talking about with IBM and Oracle?  I ask
>that because it appears to depend on DB2 or Oracle, and LoadRunner or
>Workload Simulator.

The application is not dependent really on any specific database so it
could use any database that uses SQL-92 syntax and has a JDBC driver.
It is written as a J2EE application that is portable across multiple
DBMSs as well as Application Servers.

In terms of driving the workload one can also use jMeter as a driver or
a simple URL generator and use the built-in TradeScenarioServlet which
does the randomization within a set of constraints to get a consistent
workload.

>I'm looking to implement a fair-use implementation of the TPC-App with
>J2EE to use PostgreSQL, initially, for the database.  I've have done
>similar things at the OSDL with the TPC-C and TPC-H for PostgreSQL,
>which are completely database centric, for performance testing.  I've
>gotten some outside contributions to port to MySQL and SAP DB/MAX DB
>too.  I do think the TPC-App is more interesting than Trade but the same
>time more complicated.  We also have some hardware at OSDL that we may
>be able to use to scale up a test.

I'm planning on continuing down the Trade path for now because its
already J2EE and pretty much done except for the "internal" work to make
it happen.  In the interim I'll take a look at TPC-App to get a better
understanding of it.  How does it compare to TPC-W?

>My programming skills are semi-decent, so I could certainly help with a
>bit of tutelage with any Java programming.  I'm not looking to entirely
>offload the work. :)

Didn't think you were :)

Re: tpc-app workload

Posted by Mark Wong <ma...@osdl.org>.