Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/05 19:12:24 UTC

Re: coding in Mahout

Hi All,

sorry for the delay!

I see mahout and for me it's very good :)

If you have some request like PMML I can try to add functionality and add
request by github!

Btw for me the only package that is a little mess is
https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/trunk/math/src/main/java/org/apache/mahout/math,
is it really used?

Simon

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Marty Kube <ma...@beavercreekconsulting.com>.
Hi Grant,

I took a quick look at the Weka and Lucene converter.  The path seems
clear - write converters from PMML XML to/from the mahout serialized
representations.  PMML seems to cover more general use cases since it
can represent models and modelling metadata as well as data.

I was thinking about the use case for getting a single model certified
as interoperable per the DMG process.  We would have to execute the DMG
model validation:

http://www.dmg.org/v4-1/ModelVerification.html

We'd need to be able to 1) import model, 2) import data to be modelled,
3) import expected results/validation for the model, and 4) score the
modelling results, and 5) export the scoring as PMML. If we could get
through this full round trip on a single model/example data set it would
be a good first step.

Does this seems like a reasonable way to proceed?

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Marty Kube <ma...@beavercreekconsulting.com>.
Let's start with a use case... I just happen to have one :-)

I was looking at the PMML specification and noticed that the Data Mining
Group has a nice interoperability program:

http://www.dmg.org/v4-1/Interoperability.html

They have example models and expected output that we can use to validate
our work and and demonstrate interoperability.  Maybe we could start by
picking one simple model type and work towards passing DMG Model
Verification.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com>.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Dec 6, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Marty Kube wrote:

> I'd work on model import before export.  It seems to me that mahout has the scalable execution platform.  Being able to import a model might be nice for cross-validation/QA against a model developed on a less scalable platform.

Makes sense to me.  Import should be relatively easy.  Have a look at the Weka converter and the Lucene one.

> On 12/06/2012 08:28 AM, Simon Vocella wrote:
>> Ok , have you got already an idea?
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see PMML support where it makes sense.

>>> https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/trunk/math/src/main/java/org/apache/mahout/math
>>> ,

>>> Mahout

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+MAHOUT_INTRO_CONTRIBUTEdoesn't

>>> Grant Ingersoll
>>> http://www.lucidworks.com

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Marty Kube <ma...@beavercreekconsulting.com>.
Hi Simon,
Yes I'm interested.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, than try to integrate this library in mahout can be a good idea :)

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
BSD license is fine.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com>.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Marty Kube <ma...@beavercreekconsulting.com>.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com>.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I'd like to see PMML support where it makes sense.

On Dec 5, 2012, at 1:12 PM, Simon Vocella wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> sorry for the delay!
>
> I see mahout and for me it's very good :)
>
> If you have some request like PMML I can try to add functionality and add
> request by github!
>
> Btw for me the only package that is a little mess is
> https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/trunk/math/src/main/java/org/apache/mahout/math,
> is it really used?
>
> Simon
>
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sounds fantastic.
>>
>> File a JIRA with suggested improvements.  Go for it!
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Grant,
>>>
>>> Ok maybe i can start to code cleanup and refactoring some parts in Mahout
>>> to became more confident with the code.
>>> I have spent many years to do refactoring for huge, and sometimes old,
>> java
>>> project.
>>>
>>> After that if my interest grow up I can help to add some features like
>>> PMML!
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>
>>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+MAHOUT_INTRO_CONTRIBUTEdoesn't
>> thinked

>> INTRO.

>> be

>> gsingers@apache.org
>>>>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/How+To+Contribute

>> in

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidworks.com

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Please propose something.

Keep in mind that *many* programs will have to change if you move classes
around.

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Simon Vocella <vo...@gmail.com>.
Ok just as i thought, it's the reason why there aren't subpackages: many
classes to do refactoring! Btw are you interested if i do a little order in
that package?

And i remember that there aren't coding intro contribute bugs anymore!

Simon

Sent from my Android

Re: coding in Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.