Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Grant <em...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/26 23:38:50 UTC

apache2 restart error after setting up mod_perl

Apache2 is running great, but I've been trying to set
up mod_perl and now I get the following error when
running "apache2ctl restart":

Syntax error on line 191 of
/etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf:
 Cannot load /usr/lib/apache-extramodules/libperl.so
into server: /usr/lib/apache-extramodules/libperl.so:
undefined symbol: ap_null_cleanup

Any idea what this means?

- Grant

Re: apache2 restart error after setting up mod_perl

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Grant wrote:
> > --- Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Please *always* report problems following the
> >>guidelines:
> >>http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
> >
> > This is the first time I've ever set up a web server.
> > Does the error specified below indicate a bug?
>
> We need you to follow the instructions at
> http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ to figure it out.

Also, from your earlier messages, Grant, it would be
important to ensure the mod_perl you're trying to install is
one built for apache2 (gentoo apparently puts apache2 stuff
in /usr/lib/apache2-extramodules, whereas your libperl.so is
in /usr/lib/apache-extramodules, which may be for
apache-1.3). Apache2 and Apache-1.3 aren't compatible.

--
best regards,
randy kobes

Re: apache2 restart error after setting up mod_perl

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Grant <em...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:
> Please *always* report problems following the
> guidelines:
> http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

This is the first time I've ever set up a web server.
Does the error specified below indicate a bug?

> Grant wrote:
> > Apache2 is running great, but I've been trying to
> set
> > up mod_perl and now I get the following error when
> > running "apache2ctl restart":
> >
> > Syntax error on line 191 of
> > /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf:
> >  Cannot load
> /usr/lib/apache-extramodules/libperl.so
> > into server:
> /usr/lib/apache-extramodules/libperl.so:
> > undefined symbol: ap_null_cleanup
> >
> > Any idea what this means?
>
> mp2 has no libperl.so library (unless someone
> renamed it). Please submit a
> proper bug report.

I am using the Gentoo Linux OS which has a command
called emerge (emerge mod_perl) which downloads and
installs a program for you.  There is no mod_perl.so
file on my system, and I am told the file is called
libperl.so .

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=189994

You really think this is a mod_perl bug?

- Grant

P.S. Stas - Sorry about the other message being sent
directly to you.  I didn't look at the "to" field.

Re: apache2 restart error after setting up mod_perl

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.