Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> on 2004/04/03 08:26:20 UTC

pax built test tarballs

I've built and posted new tarballs built with pax...

http://mirror.brain.org/linux/breser/temp/subversion-1.0.1-TEST-TARBALL.tar.gz
http://mirror.brain.org/linux/breser/temp/subversion-1.0.1-TEST-TARBALL.tar.bz2

I need people to download and make sure the files expand properly on
their platforms.  Testing to make sure the expansion doesn't fail and
if your platform supports it running this command and making sure there
is no output would be really helpful:
find subversion-1.0.1 -mtime +3650 -print

In particular I'd like to see these platforms tested:
Linux
(Free|Open)BSD
OS X
Solaris
HP/UX
AIX
Windows (WinZip - though I believe it still won't work, it'd be nice to
         know)

I've personally tested Solaris 7 and various Mandrake versions.

Thanks.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by David Kimdon <da...@kimdon.org>.
> I need people to download and make sure the files expand properly on

Expansion looks correct on various machines all are Debian GNU/Linux
and most are 3.0 woody some unstable tested as well :  amd64, ia64,
i386, powerpc, sparc, hppa, arm, alpha, mips, s390

-David

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Saturday 03 April 2004 10.26, Ben Reser wrote:
> I've built and posted new tarballs built with pax...
>
> http://mirror.brain.org/linux/breser/temp/subversion-1.0.1-TEST-TARBAL
>L.tar.gz
> http://mirror.brain.org/linux/breser/temp/subversion-1.0.1-TEST-TARBAL
>L.tar.bz2
> Windows (WinZip - though I believe it still won't work, it'd be nice
> to know)

The 7-zip (Windows) program seems to unpack the tarball without problem.

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Scott Collins <sc...@ScottCollins.net>.

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Ben Reser wrote:

> Wow great.  That means that by switching to pax we solved the Windows
> problem for the time being.

Confident as always, I'm pretty sure he has a newer WinZIP which
supports USTAR (as you say below).  ;-)

/Tobias

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:25:23AM +0200, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> Info-ZIP's zip supports -l and -ll, so it's posible without resorting to
> copying the files to another tree and pre-converting them.

Nifty, didn't know it had this option.

> Still, it'd be necessary to have a script to do multiple zip adds with
> or without -l according to file type and/or location on the source tree,
> and maintaining the script would be cumbersome.

I could just code something that took and made a list of files with
eol-style:native set on them and add them with -l, then add everything
else.

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es>.
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:05:27 -0700
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:

> Right now we can produce
> zip files on the RM's machine with InfoZip more than likely.  But
> there's no easy way to handle getting their contents into CRLF format.

Info-ZIP's zip supports -l and -ll, so it's posible without resorting to
copying the files to another tree and pre-converting them.

Still, it'd be necessary to have a script to do multiple zip adds with
or without -l according to file type and/or location on the source tree,
and maintaining the script would be cumbersome.

                                                                Juanma

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>>Alternatively, we could use trunk to do the export for the zip file
>>package.
>
> Wow.  I think I'm more confused than before that answer, even :-).

I think he meant that we can use svn from trunk to export the code from
the release tag in the correct EOL style.  I don't think it's been
committed to trunk yet, but Ben wrote a patch to specify a desired
native EOL style to export.  At least I hope that's what he meant.  :-)

/Tobias

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:16:23AM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Wow.  I think I'm more confused than before that answer, even :-).
>
> How does the zipping method imply any changes other than the zipping
> method?  Is there something about zipfiles that forces us to make
> changes to the software being packaged?

When we discussed doing zip files everyone seemed to agree that the text
files should have CRLF line endings in them.  Right now we can produce
zip files on the RM's machine with InfoZip more than likely.  But
there's no easy way to handle getting their contents into CRLF format.

I wrote a patch to make export accept an option to set the line ending
marker that you want to use for files marked native.  Which makes doing
this very easy.  However, this change requires an API change to
svn_client_export() which means we can't do it until 1.1.0.

> Not sure how using trunk for the release solves the problem (but that
> may be because I don't understand what the problem is).  Anyway, we
> Shouldn't Go There.  Releases for all platforms should come from the
> release branch, except for testing releases which are not meant for
> long-term distribution.

I just meant using trunk to do the export from the branch.  Basically
we'd have to roll the zip file by hand.  But we'd need the command line
client that will be in trunk as soon as I get around to committing the
change (which I haven't done yet, I need to look at the comments that I
got over the weekend).

--

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 05:15:31AM +0200, Branko ??ibej wrote:
> > I don't understand. The shape of the source bundle has no bearing on the
> > API.
>
> If we're going to do a zip file we want everything in the proper
> charset.  I suppose someone on Windows could generate a CRLF package.
>
> Alternatively, we could use trunk to do the export for the zip file
> package.

Wow.  I think I'm more confused than before that answer, even :-).

How does the zipping method imply any changes other than the zipping
method?  Is there something about zipfiles that forces us to make
changes to the software being packaged?

Not sure how using trunk for the release solves the problem (but that
may be because I don't understand what the problem is).  Anyway, we
Shouldn't Go There.  Releases for all platforms should come from the
release branch, except for testing releases which are not meant for
long-term distribution.

> I just wasn't going to try and deal with this when the problem will be
> solved for us with 1.1.0 and most Windows users are using binary
> packages anyway.

Hmm, if I understood the problem, maybe I'd understand how it will be
solved with 1.1.0 :-)...

-Karl

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Ben Reser wrote:
> At least the packages extract for you which is better than I thought it
> was working with cpio on Windows.

No, it's exactly the same, because they produce the same files almost
down to the byte.  I've tested both cpio and pax uncompression with
WinZIP, and there was no difference, and it was also exactly as Rob
described it.  WinZIP cannot handle USTAR.  It does not matter if tar,
cpio och pax produce the files.

/Tobias

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Rob Oxspring wrote:
> Hmm, on closer inspection then it looks like bad news: in Winzip these
> files appear (and get extracted) without the leading
> "subversion-1.0.1/".  I'd regard it as doubley bad since this isn't
> flagged up as an error in Winzip.

Yes, that's exactly what is expected to happen if you untar a USTAR
format tar file using a tool without USTAR support.  The USTAR format
puts a path prefix in a reserved area of the file header.  A tool that
does not understand the USTAR format will fail to add that prefix to the
file.  In this particular case, the prefix is subversion-1.0.1, so you
only get subversion/bindings/etc.  The prefix is only used when needed
which makes USTAR backwards compatible with BSD tar for files with short
names.

> Definitely looking like .zip files are the only sensible route for
> windows bundles.

Couldn't agree more.

/Tobias

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>.
Ben Reser wrote:

> We have a path as long as 108 chars:
> $ find subversion-1.0.1 | perl -ne 'if (length($_) > 100) { chomp $_;
> print length($_),$/,$_,$/; }'
> 106
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/PromptUserPassword2.java
> 106
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/PromptUserPassword3.java
> 108
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/SVNClientSynchronized.java
> 105
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/SVNClientInterface.java
> 102
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/ClientException.java
> 105
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/PromptUserPassword.java
> 100
> subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/BlameCallback.java

Hmm, on closer inspection then it looks like bad news: in Winzip these
files appear (and get extracted) without the leading
"subversion-1.0.1/".  I'd regard it as doubley bad since this isn't
flagged up as an error in Winzip.

Definitely looking like .zip files are the only sensible route for
windows bundles.

Rob

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 05:34:41PM +0100, Rob Oxspring wrote:
> It worked for me on Windows.  I'm using Windows XP, Winzip 9, and
> cygwin's find to run the specified command.

Wow great.  That means that by switching to pax we solved the Windows
problem for the time being.  I'll note though that we're still planning
to do a Windows zip file.  There's a patch to export I sent yesterday
that should help make it possible for us to generate that source package
on *nix platforms easily.

I wonder if the problem with the cpio generated one and WinZip wasn't
the date issue.  Or maybe you have a newer version of WinZip.

Re: pax built test tarballs

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>.
It worked for me on Windows.  I'm using Windows XP, Winzip 9, and
cygwin's find to run the specified command.

But isn't the expected problem a gnu vs posix tar thing? As I understood
things (very superficially) the difference only kicks in with paths over
a certain length (100 chars springs to mind) and the longest path in the
tarball is
subversion-1.0.1/subversion/bindings/java/javahl/src/org/tigris/subversion/javahl/PropertyData.java
which is 100 chars on the nose - is this path long enough to exercise
the problem?

Let me know if there's anything else you want to check,

Rob