Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Anna Battenhouse <an...@cci-triad.com> on 2003/04/03 02:03:36 UTC

is Logger serializable?

Hello -

I am a brand new log4j user so this is probably a stupid question, but is a
Logger meant to be serializable? Or should I mark Logger instance variables
in my serializable bean classes as transient? The Serializable interface
isn't on Logger.

Anna Battenhouse
Internet Applications Architect
CCITRIAD, Inc.
804 Las Cimas Parkway, Suite 200
Austin TX 78746
(512) 278-5524
anna.battenhouse@ccitriad.com

Re: is Logger serializable?

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Jacob Kjome wrote:

> If you make them class static variables, it is the same as marking them
> as transient.  The recommended way to define a logger is probably....
>
> private static final Logger logger =
> Logger.getLogger(MyClass.class.getName());

Is making it 'final' a performance-related suggestion (i.e., does the
compiler optimize anything if you do this), or practice-related (no
reason to point the var at a new object)?

Erik

Re: is Logger serializable?

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
If you make them class static variables, it is the same as marking them as
transient.  The recommended way to define a logger is probably....

private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(MyClass.class.getName());

This will not be serialized.  If you don't make it static, then do...

private transient final Logger logger =
Logger.getLogger(DBRApplicationGateway.class.getName());

Jake