Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2006/04/19 09:55:13 UTC

Metadata for Cocoon not correct anymore

Some time ago the Cocoon community decided to use Maven 2 as build system. We
also changed the directory structure and made our Ant build obsolete. Because of
this the Gump build has stopped to work and is spamming our mailing list with
failure reports every day. What do we need to do to disable the Gump build for
now? Is removing module.xml enough?

What would we have to do to make the Gump build for our 2.1.x branch working
instead? (... though I'm not sure if there are any volunteers on our side as we
hope that the Maven 2 integration is coming soon).

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Metadata for Cocoon not correct anymore

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 19.04.2006 10:29, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> look for all <nag/> tags and comment them out, and that will stop the
>> flow
>> of e-mail. Note it isn't quite "spamming" -- cocoon requested these
>> e-mails,
>> really!
>

> I commented out the <nag> tag in the <module>, but not in each
> <project>. This should be sufficient as the sub projects depend on the
> core, which is not built due to knopflerfish-log. And the latter should
> no longer nag us.
>
>> To work with the 2.1.x branch, if the build definitions that are
>> currently
>> in place for that branch are still correct (I suspect they might be,
>> largely),
>

> The 2.1 gump descriptor has not been maintained for such a long time
> that I don't share this optimism. But I would volunteer for setting it
> up and correcting it step by step.
>
>> Alternatively, you could duplicate the module.xml tree with a "2.x"
>> addition
>> in there names (eg change names like cocoon-flow to cocoon-flow-2.x)
>> to try
>> and build both the 2.1 and trunk trees.
>

> I would choose this alternative to not loose the trunk descriptor.

Thanks Jörg!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 19.04.2006 10:29, Leo Simons wrote:

> look for all <nag/> tags and comment them out, and that will stop the flow
> of e-mail. Note it isn't quite "spamming" -- cocoon requested these e-mails,
> really!

I commented out the <nag> tag in the <module>, but not in each
<project>. This should be sufficient as the sub projects depend on the
core, which is not built due to knopflerfish-log. And the latter should
no longer nag us.

> To work with the 2.1.x branch, if the build definitions that are currently
> in place for that branch are still correct (I suspect they might be, largely),

The 2.1 gump descriptor has not been maintained for such a long time
that I don't share this optimism. But I would volunteer for setting it
up and correcting it step by step.

> Alternatively, you could duplicate the module.xml tree with a "2.x" addition
> in there names (eg change names like cocoon-flow to cocoon-flow-2.x) to try
> and build both the 2.1 and trunk trees.

I would choose this alternative to not loose the trunk descriptor.

Jörg

Re: Metadata for Cocoon not correct anymore

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi Reinhard!
>
> look for all <nag/> tags and comment them out, and that will stop the flow
> of e-mail. Note it isn't quite "spamming" -- cocoon requested these e-mails,
> really!

yes, yes I know, sorry for the wording :-)

> Please don't simply remove the files, they contain valuable gems of info!
>
> To work with the 2.1.x branch, if the build definitions that are currently
> in place for that branch are still correct (I suspect they might be, largely),
> you need to look for the svn URL in module.xml and change it, and then we
> need to manually get rid of existing checkouts.
>
> Alternatively, you could duplicate the module.xml tree with a "2.x" addition
> in there names (eg change names like cocoon-flow to cocoon-flow-2.x) to try
> and build both the 2.1 and trunk trees.

thanks for your hints. hopefully Jörg can make the Gump descriptor useable with
2.1.x.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi Reinhard!

look for all <nag/> tags and comment them out, and that will stop the flow
of e-mail. Note it isn't quite "spamming" -- cocoon requested these e-mails,
really!

Please don't simply remove the files, they contain valuable gems of info!

To work with the 2.1.x branch, if the build definitions that are currently
in place for that branch are still correct (I suspect they might be, largely),
you need to look for the svn URL in module.xml and change it, and then we
need to manually get rid of existing checkouts.

Alternatively, you could duplicate the module.xml tree with a "2.x" addition
in there names (eg change names like cocoon-flow to cocoon-flow-2.x) to try
and build both the 2.1 and trunk trees.

Regarding the second question, I'm not sure of the maven 2 integration status;
someone else will have to answer that...

cheers,

Leo

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi Reinhard!