Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/29 21:18:12 UTC

Full Repository Backup

Does anyone know how to backup a repository into an ASII format of some
kind (XML, JSON, etc)? (on MongoDb)

I had tried using the backup/restore built into Oak last week, and was told
(by Oak developers) there's a known issue with that which has been known
for a very long time and it does't work. It was written up as an
"enhancement" to get it fixed when in reality it's a bug. So as a result
it's not being acted upon.

So today I tried using the import/export to XML as a means of doing
backups. Well that fails too (during reimport), and has been failing for a
long time, as I discovered by googling it. It throws a duplicate UUID
exception regardless of the option for how to handle existing UUIDs. This
happens when you try to export/import root nodes, on the jcr:system node.
So then I tried exporting only the subnodes UNDER 'system' and get yet a
different exception.

I won't bother wasting time submitting code examples showing all these
failures, because I have a feeling Oak developers are already quite aware
none of this works. So, since you aren't fixing it, do any of you have any
suggestions on how to backup a full repository to something ASCII and
restore also? Seems kind of important that a content repository have
backup/restore. I realize I can backup at the MongoDB level, but i'm afraid
to have a mongo-version dependent backup for obvious reasons. That doesn't
seem wise. I'd be comfortable with some standard ASCII format that's
readable and independent of MonboDB binary file layouts.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com

Re: Full Repository Backup

Posted by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marcel,
Yes, I'm doing a backup of the MongoDb itself using mongodump, which is a
good option. I just hope the file formats of the mongodump can survive
version upgrades to newer versions of mongodb. What I'm doing to try and
protect myself against that possibility is backing up the uber war of the
app itself along with the mongodump files so that I have not only the files
saved, but also the software that's capable of reading them.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com

Re: Full Repository Backup

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Re: Full Repository Backup

Posted by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com>.
I'm really just looking for something that can take an entire repository
and dump it into a text file. Then I want to be able to recreate that exact
same repository from the text file at some later time (importing into clean
existing repository would be fine). Jackrabbit oak has both backup/restore
and export/import but *BOTH* are broken.

But thanks for mentioning Filevault. That's interesting to know about.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com

Re: Full Repository Backup