Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2000/11/10 11:16:40 UTC

fop support in cocoon1 fixed?

Hello folks,

what is the status of fop support in cocoon1? It appears that it broke
starting with fop0.14.0 and the fop folks are going to release major new
versions soon. According to the fop developers it would just be a small
fix to cocoon1, something to do with SAX-1 vs. SAX-2.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: fop support in cocoon1 fixed?

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Alexander Weinmann wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem that you have. FOP is essential to the
> project of my company. But I don't think going on with C1 is a good
> solution. As soon as you want to generate "large" pdf output, C1
> gets performance problems, especially if you combine it (as I do) with
> XSLT.

Well, this is a problem that I can at least solve - by throwing hardware
at it ;-)

> That is why we decided to test C2 in terms of stability,usability and
> "migration". As I am in the middle of getting into C2, I cannot yet tell
> you if its still too early or not. But I don't think that the problems
> "performance" and "fop support" can be easily fixed in C1.

I just need an "official" statement. I'd like to migrate to C2 right
now, but without a pressing issue (like fop support) I won't get the
time :)

Ulrich

Posted by Alexander Weinmann <aw...@bct-technology.com>.

Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Alexander Weinmann wrote:
> >
> > I think that the real problem is inside the Xalan version
> > that comes with Cocoon. Xalan uses DOM Level 1 (no namespaces)
> > and fop0.14 relies on the dom nodes created with DOM Level2.
> > This means that I do not see how to get XSLT+FOP working
> > with Cocoon1.8 and FOP 0.14.
> >
> > We need C2 for that.
>
> C2 is not even in Beta yet, so "cocoon" currently is defined as C1,
> right? Does this mean that cocoon officially will not support newer
> versions of fop anymore?
>
> If that is the case it would be nice to have an official announcement of
> some sort, so I can take that to my employer and tell him we need to
> migrate to C2 right now, if we want to make use of the new fop features.
> Migration is a big issue for us, we have much C1 stuff to port and I'd
> rather migrate, when C2 is ready. On the other hand fop support is
> mission-critical here :)
>
> cheers,
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> Ulrich Mayring
> DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Alexander Weinmann | Web Developer
BCT Technology AG | D-77731 Willstätt/Germany | www.bct-technology.com

Re: fop support in cocoon1 fixed?

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by Alexander Weinmann <aw...@bct-technology.com>.
I tried to fix that myself in my Cocoon1.8 distribution.
I got it working (Cocoon1.6+fop0.14) only, if there is
not XSLT transformation in the processing chain.  This
could easily be acchieved by patching both Cocoon AND FOP 0.14
just a little bit.