Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com> on 2014/05/13 00:39:03 UTC

seeing "Unknown parameters : ctxdetails" for addResourceDetail/removeResourceDetail

Hi Antonio,

I see following errors in the 4.4 logs:

WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-49:job-2867 ctx-072e9ae9) Received unknown parameters for command removeResourceDetail. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-50:job-2868 ctx-35195840) Received unknown parameters for command addResourceDetail. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails

Isn’t something that you’ve fixed already? If so, what branches did it go to? If not, can you please fix it?

Thanks!
Alena.

Re: seeing "Unknown parameters : ctxdetails" for addResourceDetail/removeResourceDetail

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Hi all,

See this when trying to deploy devcloud.cfg with marvin aswell. Eventually
it fails.

Posted by Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com>.
1. I just did a rough grep, so 158 logs out of 6674 are these. Roughly 2.3%. This is just creating datacenter and playing few initial things. As well, message format is of these logs is little incomplete i believe, it ends at typ.. with out giving further information.

2. Its giving good information on unknown parameters, but what is the definition of unknown and what users should do with it? may be we can document for production users.

Thanks!
Santhosh
Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: seeing "Unknown parameters : ctxdetails" for addResourceDetail/removeResourceDetail

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
Hey Daan,

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: seeing "Unknown parameters : ctxdetails" for addResourceDetail/removeResourceDetail

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
grep -v is your friend (or grep -ev even)

--
Daan

Re: seeing "Unknown parameters : ctxdetails" for addResourceDetail/removeResourceDetail

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

From: Antonio Fornié Casarrubios <an...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday 18 May 2014 4:22 PM
To: cloudstack <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Cc: Nitin Mehta <ni...@citrix.com>>

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

From: Antonio Fornié Casarrubios <an...@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday 18 May 2014 4:22 PM
To: cloudstack <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Cc: Nitin Mehta <ni...@citrix.com>>

Posted by Antonio Fornié Casarrubios <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Antonio Fornié Casarrubios <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: seeing "Unknown parameters : ctxdetails" for addResourceDetail/removeResourceDetail

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.
Hi Antonio,

Sorry for the late reply. “ctxdetails” is used in ApiServer, so its not an unknown parameter. So the warning is not legitimate. Can you please fix it?

Thanks,
Alena.

From: Antonio Fornié Casarrubios <an...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM
To: Alena Prokharchyk <al...@citrix.com>>
Cc: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>>

Hi all and sorry for the delay in the reply. Let me try to answer to different subjects mentioned here.

What is this functionality? It's just a server side check for the format of the requests, specifically for the received parameters. That's not something strange, there are many communication protocols that include (or can include) server side validation (for example, based on a xsd, dtd...). In those cases that would make the request completely fail. In our case, we just log it as warning.

My understanding is that an ideal solution is not to change this check, but to change the format of the requests so that it doesn't include parameters that will not be used. Actually, from the client point of view, if you send a parameter and you don't get any error or warning, that means that the parameter is used, right? But there are cases (like a parameter that was called listAll??) in which you could wonder why changing the value for that parameter doesn't affect the result, and you don't know that the parameter doesn't even exist on the server functionality.

When should a parameter be considered unknown? Any parameter that is not used - There are parameters that are not command specific, they are used in ApiServer, ApiServlet or any other"Api related class" and thus cannot be considered unknown : they are needed. There are also parameters that are part of the given command in a certain request. If you go to the code of this command you will see them. For example, for UpdateNetworkServiceProviderCmd, there are several private fields annotated as parameters not only in this class itself, but also the parameters inherited from BaseAsyncCmd and BaseCmd. These are also needed. Any other command will not be used in the server, is not expected, and thus it should be considered unknown. Usually these are parameters that are correct for a given command, but for some reason they are also sent for other commands (like was the case of listAll). In these cases it makes sense to change the client in order not to send it, right?

So is this parameter (ie: ctxdetails) used? I don't know all the parameters used by heart, but I can tell that ctxdetails is not part of UpdateNetworkServiceProviderCmd parameters. What I dont know: is ctxdetails used in ApiServer, ApiServlet... or any other class upon reception? If it is used, then the parameter should not be considered unknown and the warning is a false positive. If it is not, then the warning is legitimate.

If the parameter is correct (and thus the warning is a false positive), then obviously it should be added to the list of default parameters in the ParamGenericValidationWorker so that it doesn't log more false warnings. And the same goes for any other valid parameter added in the future. Btw, I would strongly recommend to use public constants so that we make sure there is not difference between the parameter name in the list and the parameter actually used.

Should we keep this functionality or get rid of it? IMHO not having server side validation or at least something similar, is not good. But I also understand other voices, and I can see that requests that are constructed with unknown parameters are going to stay like they are, because people usually work on more urgent things. Actually we now have both problems, bad requests and noisy warnings, but the warning annoys more. It all started with a reported issue about not informaing the client about unused parameters. I didn't create this issue, I just fixed it.

Btw, I think the ParamGenericValidationWorker is a very simple code and is not buggy. You can also check ParamGenericValidationWorkerTest to see what it does and how it is tested. If it is buggy, then let me know and I will fix it. But if it's just a matter of getting out of date because new generic parameters are added to the code, then anybody should add these parameters. Otherwise any time someone adds a new parameter to the code, it will be considered that I need to fix the worker, which could happen plenty of times in the future :-)

Please let me know your thoughts and preferences. Thanks. Cheers
antonio

My calls were also executed via 8096 port. We have to eliminate this noise
in the logs before shipping 4.4

Posted by Antonio Fornié Casarrubios <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alena Prokharchyk <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Amogh Vasekar <am...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.
[...]

2014-05-12 11:13:44,576 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-6:job-8 ctx-5bbd3334) Received unknown parameters for command updateNetworkServiceProvider. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-12 11:13:49,705 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-7:job-9 ctx-382414ba) Received unknown parameters for command configureVirtualRouterElement. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-12 11:13:49,746 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-8:job-10 ctx-e806b020) Received unknown parameters for command updateNetworkServiceProvider. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-12 11:13:54,873 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-9:job-11 ctx-6f762490) Received unknown parameters for command configureInternalLoadBalancerElement. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-12 11:13:54,917 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-10:job-12 ctx-a9a7f4dd) Received unknown parameters for command updateNetworkServiceProvider. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-12 11:14:00,003 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-11:job-13 ctx-434a524d) Received unknown parameters for command updatePhysicalNetwork. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-12 17:50:42,708 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-1:job-21 ctx-706223d8) Received unknown parameters for command deployVirtualMachine. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-13 14:19:43,496 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-4:job-31 ctx-aff14d23) Received unknown parameters for command deployVirtualMachine. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-13 14:48:59,308 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-1:job-53 ctx-9cc47c4f) Received unknown parameters for command startVirtualMachine. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails
2014-05-13 14:50:18,255 WARN  [c.c.a.d.ParamGenericValidationWorker] (API-Job-Executor-5:job-61 ctx-5ceecd58) Received unknown parameters for command startVirtualMachine. Unknown parameters : ctxdetails