Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jesse Glick <je...@oracle.com> on 2010/06/11 22:44:52 UTC

Hudson target to build Ant via Maven

There appears to be a Hudson server which builds Ant periodically using bootstrap.sh, I presume. (I cannot access the server even to look at it, much less configure it.)

Shouldn't there be an analogous job which runs Maven on src/etc/pom.xml? The POMs are tricky to maintain - well, actually easier than the official build.xml, but extra
work on top of it - and there is a high chance of mistakes.

Re: Hudson target to build Ant via Maven

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@oracle.com>.
On 06/25/2010 08:20 AM, Jesse Glick wrote:
> I'm not an admin so I can't see the job configuration.

I am now. I think I finally managed to get all the Ant-related (not Ivy-related) jobs at least "succeeding", though there remain various test failures. Building on JDK
1.4 across various slave nodes was the biggest hurdle, as well as replacing shell scripts with (release) Ant invocations to be able to run on Windows.

Re: Hudson target to build Ant via Maven

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@oracle.com>.
On 06/25/2010 06:52 AM, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> Building modules in parallel.

Good luck there... these are only "modules" by fiat; they share some source and target dirs. The include/exclude definitions very likely do not form a disjoint union of
all source files, so I have no idea if parallel builds will work.

> But haven't found the place for the patternset. The job is a "Maven2-Job"

Ah, I thought (*) you were using a freeform job (since the master POM is not at the top of the source tree). In that case Hudson ought to collect test results
automatically and not abort the build if tests from a module fail. But again, with the pathological source layout it is hard to know whether everything will work
automatically.

(*) I'm not an admin so I can't see the job configuration. It is possible to configure Hudson to permit anonymous users to view /job/*/config.xml but probably this server
does not.

AW: AW: AW: Hudson target to build Ant via Maven

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
Added the "ignore=true" part as MAVEN_OPTS.
Building modules in parallel.
Abort stuck builds after 30 minutes and let the job fail then.

But haven't found the place for the patternset.
The job is a "Maven2-Job" and AFAIK Hudson retrieves these information only
from the poms, right?

Jan

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@oracle.com>.
On 06/24/2010 10:17 AM, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> But now it seems that the dependencies arent resolved...

I am fixing that; include/exclude problems in POMs. But there are tons of test failures (not yet sure why); the job will need to pass:

   -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true

and then include

   target/*/surefire-reports/TEST-*.xml

in Hudson's test report patternset.

AW: AW: Hudson target to build Ant via Maven

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
Ok, havent seen that.
Changed to latest Java 1.5.

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@oracle.com>.
On 06/24/2010 08:30 AM, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> Configuration:

Looks like the build node is misconfigured:

Unable to locate the Javac Compiler in:
   C:\java\jre6\..\lib\tools.jar

If you have admin access you can set the job to use JDK 1.4.2_19 or whatever you like.

AW: Hudson target to build Ant via Maven

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
I created a Job "BuildFromPOMs"
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Ant/job/Ant_BuildFromPOMs

Configuration:
* SCM: Subversion
  repo: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk
  module:   trunk
* build trigger:
  - if a snapshot-dependency is built
  - scm changes, checked @hourly
* Builder: Maven:
  - version: latest
  - pom: src/etc/poms/pom.xml
  - goals: clean package

Jan

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Jesse Glick wrote:
> There appears to be a Hudson server which builds Ant periodically
> using bootstrap.sh, I presume. (I cannot access the server even to
> look at it, much less configure it.)
>
> Shouldn't there be an analogous job which runs Maven on
> src/etc/pom.xml? The POMs are tricky to maintain - well, actually
> easier than the official build.xml, but extra work on top of it - and
> there is a high chance of mistakes.

Hello Jesse,

we could contact the maven team and ask them to build ant in continuum.

Antoine