Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Joshua Cohen <jc...@apache.org> on 2016/03/07 20:58:13 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Supporting Mesos Universal Containers

Hi all,

I'd like to propose we adopt the Mesos universal container support for
provisioning tasks from both Docker and AppC images. Please review the doc
below and let me know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/111T09NBF2zjjl7HE95xglsDpRdKoZqhCRM5hHmOfTLA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Joshua

Re: [PROPOSAL] Supporting Mesos Universal Containers

Posted by Steve Niemitz <sn...@apache.org>.
+1 as well, I'd love to move over to the universal containerizer ASAP and
will probably submit some patches to mesos to improve it once we're using
it.

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.
+1, move forward and support both until the path is obvious

Posted by "Erb, Stephan" <St...@blue-yonder.com>.

Posted by John Sirois <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Joshua Cohen <jc...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've gone ahead and filed some tickets breaking down the work involved in
> this effort. They're all contained within this epic:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1634.
>
> I agree that we should assess our plans re: containers as a whole. My
> understanding of the current state of the world is as follows:
>

>    1. There are definite benefits to adopting the unified containerizer to
>    launch image-based tasks (outlined in the design doc, but I'll reiterate
>    here: better interaction w/ Mesos isolators, no need to rely on external
>    daemons to coordinate containers, etc.).
>    2. There are also considerations to keep in mind, specifically, we now
>    rely on Mesos maintaining this image support, which is secondary to its
>    primary goals, rather than relying on organizations that are invested in
>    the formats. Additionally, we'll have to wait on Mesos to implement new
>    features of image formats before they can be adopted by Aurora users.
>
> I don't believe that number 2 above should be a blocker to number 1, but
> it's a caveat that we must always keep in mind. I'll point out that the
> design doc takes a very cautious approach towards deprecating the current
> Docker support. It may be that we maintain both in perpetuity. It's also
> possible, and I'm hopeful that this is the case, that the Mesos community
> will show responsible custodianship of the unified container support,
> allaying the concerns outlined above and allowing us to deprecate the
> current native-Docker containerizer support. In either case described here,
> I think Aurora users will benefit.
>
> Does anyone think we need a stop-the-world moment to come up with a long
> term, holistic plan, or is it reasonable to assess the situation as we go?

I think its reasonable to move forward and assess as we go.  Even if the
potential difficulties noted in 2 actually come to pass, this exercise will
at least make the separation between the client, scheduler and executor
more clearly delinieated and that alone will have been worth the effort
from what I can tell.

Posted by Joshua Cohen <jc...@apache.org>.