Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by * William <wi...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/07 06:11:10 UTC

please recommend Linux Font for Netbeans on Linux

Hello list ...

Please refer to the screen shot below ... The comment on the right is the
column number of the parent class/interface on that line.

[image: image.png]

I'm running Netbeans 9 on Ubuntu 18.10 and using the JDK 11.  for contrast
on the command line in terminal, everything lines-up with al lthe fixed
fonts I've tested.  Including Courier 10

Same fonts in Netbeans are all over the place.  It is a mess.  No matter
which "Look and Feel" I use.

Does someone know a fixed font that works in netbbeans so that this example
lines up:

         1         2
123456789*123456789*

That's using the Gmail fixed font setting.  10 spaces in is a "1".  This is
all ove rthe pace with netbeans.  I don't think there's reason for that
except no one cared to make it work.  VS Code manages to work OK.

aloha,
         \_w_/
 ___________________________________

Re: please recommend Linux Font for Netbeans on Linux

Posted by Bayless <bk...@cox.net>.
Sorry but my input may not have been too helpful after all. It seems I'm
still using JDK1.8 and Netbeans 8.1.

Bayless

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bayless <bk...@cox.net>.

Posted by * William <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gregor,

Posted by Gregor Kovač <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

--
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
|  In A World Without Fences Who Needs Gates?  |

Re: please recommend Linux Font for Netbeans on Linux

Posted by "Eric J. Schwarzenbach" <er...@wrycan.com>.
It would be pretty extraordinary for something to be doing that to
monospace fonts. It would have to be some kind of very deliberate
feature ("auto-kerning"?) which would be generating a lot of complaints
more broadly. I'm suspicious about your tabs / spaces. Could some
setting there being doing something you don't expect? Could your 46 and
49 be including one or more tab? Have you tried turning on "show
unprintable characters."

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 09:47 Steve Jacobs <steve@appalachianmail.com wrote:

> netbeans -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on
>
> For convenience, this can be added to the command line at the end of the
> /netbeans/bin/netbeans shell script.

Better added to netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf - it's what it's there for.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: please recommend Linux Font for Netbeans on Linux

Posted by * William <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all on List ...

The setting:

   - *-J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSetting**s=on*

*Is-the solution*.  Font changes show little improvement.  This setting
works for:

   - Java 1.8, Java 11 (Oracle) and Graal v1.0
   - Neteans 8.2 and 9.0

Essentially I think it is handled almost OK on Windows without the
option.   Everyone on Linux has seen the problem.  One guy on  Bohdi was
satisfied although things don't line-up.  Gnome seemed to ebe the main
offender.

Anyway adopt the switch!!

:-)

Posted by Steve Jacobs <st...@appalachianmail.com>.
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 17:11:10 +1100
"* William" <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does someone know a fixed font that works in netbbeans so that this
> example lines up:
>
>          1         2
> 123456789*123456789*

On my machine (Debian Stretch) all font spacing (and rendering) problems
disappear using this command to start netbeans:

netbeans -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on

For convenience, this can be added to the command line at the end of the
/netbeans/bin/netbeans shell script.

That said, Noto Mono (https://www.google.com/get/noto/) has been working
very well for me. The example above works with or without the altered
command line, but looks nicer with it.

I'm a php guy so I can't vouch for the Java editor. No idea if that
makes a difference.

Regards,

Steve

Re: please recommend Linux Font for Netbeans on Linux

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
I use IBM Plex https://github.com/IBM/plex