Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Jerome Lacoste @ BBC" <la...@altern.org> on 2003/02/17 16:07:24 UTC

mysql goes 100% after james started

James configured to store mail in mysql. I start mysql then james, and
after 20-30 seconds (the time it takes for james to be properly
initialized) mysql goes 100% CPU. Stopping james does not solve the
problem. I upgraded to james 2.1.1 without luck. So it sounds like a
mysql problem triggered by james. Anybody running james on top of mysql
4.0.6gamma [on Linux]?

I probably will have to update mysql. Anybody running 4.0.10? Does it
look more stable?

Jerome

Re: mysql goes 100% after james started

Posted by "Jerome Lacoste @ BBC" <la...@altern.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>As a side note I found out that in mysql 'select recipients from
>>james.spool' take a long time (more than 30 seconds), even though
>>there are only 2-3 messages in the spool.
>>

>I've seen that before, very occasionally, from the mysql client interface.
>Restarting mysql fixed it.  Right now you must start james after mysql (and
>restart it if you restart mysql).
>
>You might want to run isamchk against that tables.

Running myisamchk on the MYI files took a long time on the james.spool
table. There was plenty of deleted blocks,

Checking MyISAM file: james/spool.MYI
Data records:       0   Deleted blocks:   40071

/opt/mysql/bin/myisamchk -r james/*.MYI solved the performance problem.

Thanks! don't have to upgrade mysql for now!

RE: mysql goes 100% after james started

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> As a side note I found out that in mysql 'select recipients from
> james.spool' take a long time (more than 30 seconds), even though
> there are only 2-3 messages in the spool.

I've seen that before, very occasionally, from the mysql client interface.
Restarting mysql fixed it.  Right now you must start james after mysql (and
restart it if you restart mysql).

You might want to run isamchk against that tables.

	--- Noel

Re: mysql goes 100% after james started

Posted by "Jerome Lacoste @ BBC" <la...@altern.org>.
Thanks for your comments. I will then have to upgrade. :(

For those who may encoutner a similar problem, I can also note that
under these configuration, I have the following problems

- after every boot james goes 100% for a while (we have 3 users and very
few mail on that machine right now, so it shouldn't do that). This lasts
for 1 minute or so, then everything goes normal. At least for a while.

But often (I am not yet sure if that's always),
- mail server stops answering to POP3 requests
- telnets to admin interface get locked to the point I have to kill them

As a side note I found out that in mysql 'select recipients from
james.spool' take a long time (more than 30 seconds), even though there
are only 2-3 messages in the spool. This also happens independently to
my other remark.

So if any of you have seen similar problems...

Now that I have solved most of my problems, I guess I can upgrade to
mysql 4.0.10gamma (or downgrade to 3.x).

Cheers,

Jerome

Posted by Eric Weidner <es...@speakeasy.org>.
We're running James 2.1.1 on top of MySQL 4.0.4 (Red Hat 7.3)  beta
using the mysql driver that comes with James and it's running great.
Upgrading to 4.0.10 soon.

In fact, we've been running several Java apps with MySQL from 4.0.3 up
through 4.0.10 as each comes out (with the new releases of Connector/J)
for our product and have found it to be extremely stable.

Eric Weidner
Out-of-the-Box
http://www.ejbsolutions.com

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> James configured to store mail in mysql. I start mysql then james, and
> after 20-30 seconds (the time it takes for james to be properly
> initialized) mysql goes 100% CPU. Stopping james does not solve the
> problem. I upgraded to james 2.1.1 without luck. So it sounds like a
> mysql problem triggered by james. Anybody running james on top of mysql
> 4.0.6gamma [on Linux]?

Not me

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jerome,

As best we can tell, about 50% of James users are using MySQL, so if this
was a consistent issue, I expect that we'd have heard of it.  Perhaps it was
related to something in MySQL 4.06.  Let us know what happens after you
upgrade to the latest gamma.  Which connector are you using?  Did you
upgrade to Connector/J v3?

I keep reviewing the change logs for MySQL v4.  So far they keep introducing
serious defects into the code base, and then fixing them.  For the time
being, I'd recommend sticking with 3.23 unless you really can't live without
a new feature.

	--- Noel