Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/03 09:07:07 UTC

Re: dependancy tracking

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my last attempt to make the core more erlangish, I'm trying to find
> a way to manage dependencies like webmachine, oauth, snappy, ... . I
> thought one way would be to get them while preparing the release like
> I do in rcouch, but maybe some still want to have them in the
> repository.
>
> So:
>
> 1. What do you prefer ?
>    a. keep the dependency in the source
>    b. getting them at the release (with possibly rebar), they will be
> distributed with the archive

ASF policy says that all source code in a release *must* be in ASF
source control. So to not include a dependency in a release we have to
force users to get it on their own. For things like snappy, we may be
getting to a point where that's possible, but for the Erlang apps that
doesn't seem like a viable option at this point in time.

> 2. In case of a), is there a good pattern to maintain/track changes
> upstreams ? We for now do big merge, without keeping upstream history.
> It may be a problem or not. Thought?
>
> - benoit

I know that Dave Smith has a tool to keep leveldb sources up to date
in eleveldb. We might take a look at that. Although I'm perfectly fine
with just using a big commit to bring our deps up to date (although we
may want to mark them with a specific URL/commit/version thing in the
future).

Also, we patch a number of our Erlang deps, so that's another vote in
favor of having them in the repo.

Re: dependancy tracking

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, we patch a number of our Erlang deps, so that's another vote in
>> favor of having them in the repo.
>
> It seems like it would be a Good Idea to have those patches go upstream.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

Most of them do and will get pulled back downstream on an upgrade. But
when we get a bugfix we patch immediately in our source tree.

Re: dependancy tracking

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.