Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> on 2013/03/26 14:03:50 UTC

Overhaul PDFBox site

Hi there,

what do you think about giving the PDFBox website an overhaul similar to

http://cloudstack.apache.org/
http://ode.apache.org/index.html
http://cordova.apache.org

with a more prominent user guide such as http://ode.apache.org/userguide/
and a cleaner architecture description (together with main classes) for developers

to support a faster intro into pdfbox

Kind regards

Maruan Sahyoun

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site

Posted by Timo Boehme <ti...@ontochem.com>.
Hi,

moving to the CMS is IMHO a good idea.
To speed up the process of getting consensus here are my
+1
for doing the transition. Thanks Maruan for volunteering for this task.

Best,
Timo

--

  Timo Boehme
  OntoChem GmbH

  OntoChem GmbH
  Geschäftsführer: Dr. Lutz Weber
  Sitz: Halle / Saale
  Registergericht: Stendal
  Registernummer: HRB 215461

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi Maruan,

Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> hat am 5. April 2013 um 12:16
geschrieben:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> for the new PDFBox site we need a SVN location
> (http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#svn).
> As 'site' is already taken would you have a preference? Is 'cmssite' fine?
Just for the record: that's not my decision but ours. :-)

+1, cmssite sounds good to me, please proceed

> BR
>
> Maruan Sahyoun

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi Andreas,

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 27.03.2013 07:23, schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> thx for the offer to help. I think it's needed :-)
I'm happy that someone is eager enough to do some of the not so cool things
like documentation. ;-)

> I already read about the Apache CMS and svnpubsub and think that the CMS is
 > the way to go although it's initially a little more effort. One of the major
 > benefits of the CMS is that non technical users can use it (the web UI) and
 > it's easier for non comitters to contribute [1].
+1, nothing to add here

> As soon as I get a go to move forward I'll open a ticket on Jira to track the
 > status of the move. The initial step will be to get myself familiar with the
 > tools to build the site as described in [2].
It looks like people gathered a lot of CMS related information so that you
should find everything you need. If some piece is missing try to ask for it
on one of the mentioned mailing lists.

Maybe some of the steps will need PMC-chair power (I saw a form to request the
svn space for the CMS which is limited to chairs) so that I've to step in.

IMHO the following steps have to be done (this list is not exhaustive)

- migrate the existing xdoc files to markdown (maybe there is a script doing
that?)
- create a new content structure following the CMS needs (there is a minimal
example on the cms-wiki-page)
- get in touch with infra to request all the needed things to do the transition
(AFAIU several steps are needed)

 > I propose the migration to reuse
 > the current content and most of the current navigation and optimize at a later
 > stage but making a clearer distinction between users of and developers for
pdfbox.
I'm not sure which way is the best, but I'm sure you'll find out. :-)

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
thx for the offer to help. I think it's needed :-)

I already read about the Apache CMS and svnpubsub and think that the CMS is the way to go although it's initially a little more effort. One of the major benefits of the CMS is that non technical users can use it (the web UI) and it's easier for non comitters to contribute [1].

As soon as I get a go to move forward I'll open a ticket on Jira to track the status of the move. The initial step will be to get myself familiar with the tools to build the site as described in [2]. I propose the migration to reuse the current content and most of the current navigation and optimize at a later stage but making a clearer distinction between users of and developers for pdfbox.

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Re: Overhaul PDFBox site