Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Stephane Nicoll <sn...@kiala.com> on 2004/03/19 09:35:44 UTC

Cactus integration test with a production's EAR

Guys,

We are using maven to manage our application. It's something like

Project
   applications
   modules
     module1
     module2

Each module is a maven project and generate an EJB-JAR or a WAR. Each module
has its own cactus tests and rely on fixed version of other modules to work.
At the end, an EAR is build (applications dir is also a maven project and
manages this) with a version of each modules.

Our problem now is that we would like to:

- Run ALL tests of ALL modules on the generated EAR (basically module1 needs
module2 and3 for instance while module4 needs 1and3, etc but at the end all
modules fit together in a single EAR). It means gather and compile the tests
of all modules in some separate project
- Run some other tests.

My idea is to create a new maven project "integration" containing integration
tests (the "run some other tests" part). Then I have somehow to gather all
cactus's test source files from all modules and compile them in a common
place + build a WAR.

If this works I should somehow be able to depend on some EAR (since it's
deployed in our local repo), copy it to my application server, start it, copy
the war and launch the tests.

Does it seem feasible to you?

If someone else is insterested or  find this relevant, maybe I can provide a
patch.

Regards,

Stéphane

RE: Cactus integration test with a production's EAR

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Stephane,

I'd like to know what's the incentive of re-running the Cactus tests on
the applications project. My belief is that you'd be better to run
complementary tests on the application project, like functional tests
that exercise the whole application (these tests could be cactus or some
other but they'll be exercising full flows).

Thus you'd run (integration) unit tests on modules and functional tests
on the application. What do you think?

<OT>My directory structure is similar but slightly different from yours.
I have:

Project
  modules/
  applications/
  containers/
  nodes/
  system/

where:
- applications are a set of modules
- containers are a set of applications running in a specific container
- nodes are the set of containers running on a given physical machine
type
- system is a single maven project representing the whole project/system

Each of these project types can be built for a given environment
(development, integration, pre-production, demo, production, etc) and
contain all configuration files required.

The whole system does not only the build but also the packaging +
deployment.
</OT>

Thanks
-Vincent