Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jan Pieper <j-...@gmx.net> on 2008/02/17 13:20:22 UTC

remote stored index

Hi guys,

I want to use lucene for my new application and I have to store my
lucene index on another server than my client is running on. What is the
best way to use the index? Only found RAMDirectory and FSDirectory in
lucene package.

I read something about "download, manipulate and upload index" but I
don't think that this is a good solution. Also read about an index server.

-- Jan

Re: remote stored index

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
RAMdirectories are transient, they go away when your program
ends. They are suitable for small indexes that are created
on the fly etc.

An index written to disk (i.e. an FSDIr) is just a set of files. You
can freely copy them anywhere you want. Assuming you have an
index phase where the index is created, once that is finished you
can put it wherever you want.

In a client server situation, you need to have some transport layer
to go back and forth. We've had good results with XmlRpc. The
idea is that a client packages up the request in an XML packet
and sends it via XmlRpc to the server. The server analyzes
the packet, performs the search, and packs up an XML response
for the client.

XmlRpc was *very* easy for us to set up and use.

Best
Erick

RE: remote stored index

Posted by John Griffin <jg...@thebluezone.net>.
Don't forget old, venerable RMI. We use it for multiple remote indexes and
it works well.

John G.

Re: remote stored index

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
I think using Apache Solr could be a good solution. It builds on top
of lucene and provides HTTP APIs to query/store data.

On Feb 17, 2008 5:50 PM, Jan Pieper <j-...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I want to use lucene for my new application and I have to store my
> lucene index on another server than my client is running on. What is the
> best way to use the index? Only found RAMDirectory and FSDirectory in
> lucene package.
>
> I read something about "download, manipulate and upload index" but I
> don't think that this is a good solution. Also read about an index server.
>
> -- Jan

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.