Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2001/10/27 03:42:37 UTC

Re: Xerces Perl on AIX

"Derek Fountain" <fo...@hursley.ibm.com> writes:

> > Good detective work, derek. This is most definately the problem. Perl
> > thinks your bool's should be char's, and Xerces-C thinks they should
> > be int's. Try adding -Dbool=int to the CFLAGS in your Makefile.PL and
> > recompile Xerces.pm.
> >
> > You want to convince them to both use the same encoding, so you either
> > get Xerces-C to accept bool=char, or the other way 'round.
>
> Ah-ha! I've got it working! The samples work! The job's not done yet, but the
> end is in sight...
>
> Setting -Dbool=int in the Makefile.PL didn't help. The compiler issues a
> warning about the value being redefined, then uses the new value. The new
> value appears to come from my perl-5.6.1/lib/5.6.1/aix/CORE/handy.h file,
> which resets bool=char. I forced a fix by going into this file and changing
> the line there before doing the compile of Xerces for Perl. Specifically:
>
> ===
> #ifndef HAS_BOOL
> # if defined(UTS) || defined(VMS)
> #  define bool int
> # else
> // #  define bool char
> #  define bool int
> # endif
> # define HAS_BOOL 1
> #endif
> ===

Hey Derek,

Looking at this, it looks like you enter that conditional because
HAS_BOOL is undefined. So it seems that your problems would be solved
of you used '-DHAS_BOOL -Dbool=int'.

I've added a hints file for AIX in 1.5.8, and it would be great if you
could test it and give me some feedback.

Cheers,
jas.