Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com> on 2000/09/14 09:04:05 UTC

Adding a "keepgoing" attribute to ?

I know I shouldn't even say this, given the last <javac> change discussion
we just went thru :) -- but... is there any chance of adding a "keepgoing"
attribute to <javac>? I just purposely ran an incremental build I knew
should get compiler errors, hoping I'd see all the source files that
needed changing (due to the change that was made that was guaranteed to
break them), but I only got to see the first one. I think having a
keepgoing attribute for the compiles would be really handy. (It looks like
it could be a pretty straightforward thing to add -- I just don't think
I'm the one to try and add it. :)

Thanks,
Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Adding a "keepgoing" attribute to ?

Posted by Nico Seessle <ni...@seessle.de>.
> > I know I shouldn't even say this, given the last <javac> change
discussion
> > we just went thru :) -- but... is there any chance of adding a
"keepgoing"
> > attribute to <javac>? I just purposely ran an incremental build I knew
> > should get compiler errors, hoping I'd see all the source files that
> > needed changing (due to the change that was made that was guaranteed to
> > break them), but I only got to see the first one. I think having a
> > keepgoing attribute for the compiles would be really handy. (It looks
like
> > it could be a pretty straightforward thing to add -- I just don't think
> > I'm the one to try and add it. :)
>
> It depends on the underlying java compiler. If mean a
> keepgoing at a target level then there has been requests for
> that and it will most likely eventually wind up in ant :P

How about an onError-attribute for tasks (maybe even a global one for the
project?) which would take "ignore", "target:myTarget" or
"handler:MyHandler" (where the last one implements
"org.apache.tools.ant.ErrorHandler" which in turn defines a method like
"handleError(BuildException e)").

This would allow everyone to use his/her preferred solution:

1. ignore: just keep going
2. target: specify a target which can send build-reports, error-messages, do
anything else
3. handler: do something which is currently not possible with ant.

Nico

Re: Adding a "keepgoing" attribute to ?

Posted by do...@mad.scientist.com.
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Diane Holt wrote:

> I know I shouldn't even say this, given the last <javac> change discussion
> we just went thru :) -- but... is there any chance of adding a "keepgoing"
> attribute to <javac>? I just purposely ran an incremental build I knew
> should get compiler errors, hoping I'd see all the source files that
> needed changing (due to the change that was made that was guaranteed to
> break them), but I only got to see the first one. I think having a
> keepgoing attribute for the compiles would be really handy. (It looks like
> it could be a pretty straightforward thing to add -- I just don't think
> I'm the one to try and add it. :)

It depends on the underlying java compiler. If mean a
keepgoing at a target level then there has been requests for
that and it will most likely eventually wind up in ant :P

Cheers,

Pete

| Latrobe University,     | Does the name 'Pavlov' |
| Bundoora, Australia     |    ring a bell ?       |