Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Lin Sun <li...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/22 21:53:33 UTC

config.xml and config.tomcat.xml

I am trying to understand why we have 2 server config.xml files in var/config directory,
one is config.xml and the other is config.tomcat.xml.

I tried to change the tomcat web container port number to 8888 in config.xml and restart
the server.  The change took effect after the restart.

Then I changed the tomcat web container port number to 8811 in config.tomcat.xml and
restart the server.   Nothing that I can notice changed.

Does this mean config.tomcat.xml is not being used at the server initialization?  Can
someone explain how to use config.tomcat.xml?

thanks,

Lin

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: config.xml and config.tomcat.xml

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I believe the config.tomcat.xml is really a config.xml file in disguise that
makes Tomcat the default WebContainer rather than Jetty.  As a consequence,
changes to it specifically are not looked at by the server.

Posted by Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
Kevan Miller wrote:
> Lin,
> They represent different possible web container configurations. In a
> fresh M5 archive download (i.e. zip/tar.gz, not the installer), you
> should find 4 xml files in var/config:
>
> config.xml -- this is the config file which will be used when starting
> the server
> config.both.xml -- sample config settings for both jetty and tomcat
> config.tomcat.xml -- sample config settings for tomcat only
> config.jetty.xml -- sample config settings for jetty only
>
> For example, to switch to a jetty-only configuration, copy
> 'config.jetty.xml' to 'config.xml', and start your server.

It might be nice to rename these slightly to make that more obvious.

For example, something like:

  config.xml
  config-sample-both.xml
  config-sample-jetty-only.xml
  config-sample-tomcat-only.xml
  README (describing how this works and what to do)

Cheers,
Erin

Re: config.xml and config.tomcat.xml

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Lin,
They represent different possible web container configurations. In a fresh
M5 archive download (i.e. zip/tar.gz, not the installer), you should find 4
xml files in var/config:

config.xml -- this is the config file which will be used when starting the
server
config.both.xml -- sample config settings for both jetty and tomcat
config.tomcat.xml -- sample config settings for tomcat only
config.jetty.xml -- sample config settings for jetty only

For example, to switch to a jetty-only configuration, copy 'config.jetty.xml'
to 'config.xml', and start your server.

--kevan