Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Corentin Chary <co...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/07 15:10:32 UTC

streaming_connections_per_host - speeding up CPU bound bootstrap

Currently the StreamPlan created for bootstrap (and rebuild) will only
create one connection per host. If you have less nodes than cores,
this is likely to be CPU bound (a CPU seems to be able to process
~5MB/s).

Is there any reason why something naive like
https://github.com/iksaif/cassandra/commit/8352c21284811ca15d63183ceae0b11586623f31
would not work ?

I believe this is what is about
See also: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12229, but I
don't believe non-blocking I/O would change anything here.

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net

Re: streaming_connections_per_host - speeding up CPU bound bootstrap

Posted by Corentin Chary <co...@gmail.com>.
Hard to say because this comment doesn't show the code that was tried.

My proposed change
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12842717/0001-streaming-add-a-way-to-configure-the-number-of-conne.patch)
should open multiple connections per hosts: this fixes blocking writes
on a single connection or CPU-bound (de)-serialization.

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.