Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Vincent Siveton <vs...@apache.org> on 2009/04/13 22:20:54 UTC

What missing to do a 1.0.x release? WAS: [Proposal] Using Maven snapshot repo

Hi Ian,

2009/4/13 Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>:
> I hate to bring it up again, but is it time to do a release on the 1.0.x
> branch ?

I am agree with you.
According Jira [1], we have 3 issues left and according the board
report, we plan to do a release of 1.0.x in this quarter.
So, could we fix them and make a release soon? Ping me if devs need help.

Cheers,

Vincent

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310741&fixfor=12313553

Re: What missing to do a 1.0.x release? WAS: [Proposal] Using Maven snapshot repo

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El mié, 15-04-2009 a las 13:18 +0200, Chris Chabot escribió:
> The php's release script doesn't do any signing yet, but if your willing to
> send the instructions of the release signature standards are for apache I'd
> be happy to build that in

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html describes the generic
instructions, and

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html is a incubator
guide.

The first one contains relatively detailed signing instructions. I don't
have much experience in the incubator and how it differs from regular
releases, but the second document should tell.

Regards
Santiago

Posted by Rodrigo Gallardo <ro...@nul-unu.com>.
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:43:46AM -0700, Rodrigo Gallardo wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:33:22PM +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> > I am probably too distant to anyone to do the signing, I running the
> > maven release:perform at the moment, but I dont think anything is
> > getting signed, or at least i am not being asked form gpg passphrase.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Probably one of the easiest ways to get nicely tied in into the global
> gpg web of trust is for (some of) the people here to get their keys
> signed by some Debian developer. We could simply make a list of
> everyone's location and send it to the debian-devel list, or I can
> make a request to the -private list if there are concerns about
> publicly posting that.

Or you could just cut the middleman and look for someone near you in
https://nm.debian.org/gpg_offer.php

I'd forgotten about that page :)

Re: What missing to do a 1.0.x release? WAS: [Proposal] Using Maven snapshot repo

Posted by Rodrigo Gallardo <ro...@nul-unu.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Yes it was at one point but I didn't see the gpg signing happening,
unless it was silent.
Ian

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
The release was 1/2 deployed, but after entering the password for the
101th time, I made a mistake, and deploy failed. Tried 3 times, and
gave up thinking that settings.xml was a better place, but couldn't
get that to work.
Ian

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Weird! I saw the files

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Progress,
Branch and tags done,
Tag at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/tags/shindig-project-1.0.0-incubating/

However the replication of svn between the US and EU means that you
have to restart the prepare process several times to avoid the
following errors.

INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]
[INFO] Unable to commit files
Provider message:
The svn command failed.
Command output:
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: The specified baseline is not the latest baseline, so it may not
be checked out.

I guess fixing the svn co to a specific server eg https://svn.eu.apache.org
  would remove all lag and eliminate the problem.

I will try the perform next.

Ian

Posted by Lane LiaBraaten <ll...@google.com>.
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Kevin Brown <et...@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Vincent Siveton
> > <vi...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> >> Using Maven will be more platform independent,
> >>

> > Ps, any claims that 'get root access', 'install java', 'make java work',
> > 'install maven', 'learn how to use maven commands' is more platform
> > independent then /bin/sh, should probably re-evaluate his position and
> hop
> > on the *nix bandwagon as many generations before us have done :)
>
> I agree. Honestly, I don't even like using maven for java work, and
> expecting PHP developers and users to understand maven is a bad idea.

+1

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vs...@apache.org>.
Thanks Chris, so I will cut the release this evening.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

RE: Blank pages

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.
>Any update on this one? I think i am also having something similar.
>
>Thanks and Regards,
>Hafiz

FYI - it hasn't been happening to us recently. We fixed some other bugs
that may have been related. Here are some things to think about:

* At SHOP, we've turned off all Shindig caching that we can find

* The default timeout for HTTP fetches in Shindig is 5 seconds. If any
gadget requests a resource that takes more than 5 seconds, it will fail.

* The default HTTP fetch in Shindig does not follow redirects (for
security I assume). If a gadget requests a resource that responds with a
301/302, it will fail.

Jordan Zimmerman
Principal Software Architect
831.647.4712
831.214.2990 (cell)
jordanz@shop.com

SHOP*COMTM
Shop Smart, Save Big(tm)
www.shop.com

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is non-public, proprietary,
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product.
that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and
(i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this
message
immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Thank you.

Re: Blank pages

Posted by Hafiz A Haq <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
fool forever.

RE: Blank pages

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.
>I've seen this behavior ... usually due to ...
gadgets.window.adjustHeight.
Hey! This might be it. I temporarily commented out all the
adjustHeight() calls in our gadgets and, so far, the behavior has gone
away. Fingers crossed.

The RPC-relay stuff feels like black magic to me so it's not surprising
that it might have issues.

Re: Blank pages

Posted by Taylor Singletary <ts...@linkedin.com>.
I've seen this behavior in the past in a couple different circumstances. In
my experience, it was usually due to an intermingling of Browser, DOM ready
state, CSS/DOM style properties, container IFRAME markup/height & width
configuration points, and gadgets.window.adjustHeight.

That might not be the case in your scenario, but it's the first place I'd
look.

Taylor

RE: Blank pages

Posted by Mark D Weitzel <we...@us.ibm.com>.

From:
"Jordan Zimmerman" <jo...@shop.com>
To:
<sh...@incubator.apache.org>
Date:

RE: Blank pages

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.

RE: Blank pages

Posted by Mark D Weitzel <we...@us.ibm.com>.
Would you post the steps you did to turn off ALL caching in shindig to
this list of on the wiki? We've come across a few scenarios where ensuring
nothing gets cached would be very beneficial esp. debugging. I can follow
these steps to see if I can replicate the problem.

-Mark W.

From:
"Jordan Zimmerman" <jo...@shop.com>
To:
<sh...@incubator.apache.org>
Date:
04/21/2009 02:32 PM
RE: Blank pages

RE: Blank pages

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.

Re: Blank pages

Posted by Mark D Weitzel <we...@us.ibm.com>.
Jordan,

I'm pretty sure we've run across this intermittently as well. It may be a
caching issue b/c we for a browser refresh and we'll get the frame to
load. It's only happened to us once in a while and only started recently.
I didn't give it much thought until I saw your post. I know this isn't
much help.

-Mark W.

From:
"Jordan Zimmerman" <jo...@shop.com>
To:
<sh...@incubator.apache.org>
Date:
04/21/2009 01:45 PM
Subject:
Blank pages

Intermittently, we have gadgets that don't function correctly. The
visual symptom is that the gadget's frame is blank. If I view source
when this happens, I see the full source for the page. The common thing
for all these gadgets is that they make opensocial.newDataRequest()
calls.

I realize this is vague but if it rings any bells for anyone, I'd
appreciate any/all ideas on how to debug it.

Blank pages

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Carmen Sarlo <ne...@gmail.com>.
How can I check out the 1.0 release? Is there a new branch cut? Do I have to
check out up to a certin rev?

Carmen

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
2009/4/15 Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>:
>> I spoke yesterday with Chris about the make-release.sh: this script
>> won't work on my ubuntu box :(
>

> Vincent I thought the fix was simple enough:

Yes yes the fix was working perfectly :)

> Saying that "it won't work on ubuntu" is a slight over-exaggeration in my
> opinion :)

Sorry if I offend you, my point was that the out-of-box script needs
to be changed depending the platform used for the compilation.

> (i did make a mental note I should probably use /bin/sh though since
> according to the FHS that should always be available, but i'll have to
> validate that the script works the same on sh first before i can switch that
> over)
>
> Using Maven will be more platform independent, but Chris underlines me
>> that the Maven assembly generates a different layout than the
>> make-release.sh.
>> So I modified the Maven files in r765148 to be align with this script.
>>
>> @Chris, could you review the generated and confirm that it is the wanted
>> layout?
>>

> I also commented that I think this is a "When you have a hammer, everything
> looks like a nail" type of solution.
>
> Most people who use PHP probably won't have a lot of java and maven
> knowledge, and are even likely not to even have a working java binary
> installed, let alone feeling like installing maven and downloading many Mb's
> of dependencies and we really shouldn't force that down people's throats,
> not if those tens of megabytes, and different-environment dependencies are
> just to solve something that can also be done with 20 lines of shell script.
> That just sounds like a solution looking for a problem :)
>
> Keep in mind that this script could be used to create a release-type-layout
> of the directory structure and configuration files by anyone who uses
> php-shindig, so the usage of it is far wider then just once to generate a
> release tarbal, as such the whole java / mvn dep could only be worth it from
> a php perspective if it offered significant benefits over shell script (or
> even php based) one..

I guess only Shindig devs could use this script to make a release and
(I hope) everybody here has a minimum knowledge of java/maven :)
If someone want to make a fork of PHP Shindig, he will probably create
its own script to make its release.

The script file works perfectly but it is platform dependent which is
IMHO bad. We need 2 release managers to create artifacts, and I dont
think it is the way to go.
If Maven is too bigger, WDYT to use ant? It will be easy to integrate
it in the release process.

Do we want to centralize build under Maven, for all languages
supported and for making release?

Cheers,

Vincent

Note: I am not a PHP dev/user, and I trust your final judgement

Re: What missing to do a 1.0.x release? WAS: [Proposal] Using Maven snapshot repo

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
<vi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> 2009/4/15 Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>:
> > I will try and get to the published artifacts stage,
> > Where should the generated Maven documentation go ?
> > Ian
> >

> I spoke yesterday with Chris about the make-release.sh: this script
> won't work on my ubuntu box :(

Vincent I thought the fix was simple enough:

replace the top line of the make-release.sh shell script that now reads:
  #!/bin/bash

with wherever your bash is located (which you can easily discover by doing
"which bash"), for instance:
  #!/usr/bin/bash

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Ok by me.... since I dont have a verified gpg key it might make sense
for me to hand over to you at this point.
Ian

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.