Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Hilton <hk...@amsa.com> on 2009/01/16 14:50:25 UTC

Configuration of Camel with SNMP

I'm currently in the process of evaluating the Camel product for our ESB
solution.  One of the questions that our IT department requires is support
for SNMP.  I reviewed the documentation and perform several online search
and I could not find anything on configurtion of SNMP with Camel other than
with ServiceMix.  Does anyone know if Camel support SNMP and how to
configure this?  Also it is my understanding that ServiceMix is another ESB
solution, so what is the relationship between Camel and ServiceMix?  Would I
need to install both and configure both to get SNMP?

Re: Configuration of Camel with SNMP

Posted by cmoulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Apparently since JavaTM SE 5.0, the JRE provides a means to manage and
monitor the Java Virtual Machine in two flavors:
- one is based on the Java Management Extension (JMXTM),
- the other is a small SNMP agent that builds upon the Management and
Monitoring API of the Java SE platform and exposes the same information
through SNMP.

More info can be found here

http://blogs.sun.com/jmxetc/entry/jmx_vs_snmp

As explained by Willem, Camel is JMX centrix. Why do you need snmp
monitoring for ESB project ? Is it to monitor the JVM activity or endpoints,
routes, messages ? Is it because infra team use a snmp tool to monitor the
applications ?

Regards,

willem.jiang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Current Camel don't support SNMP.
> If you want to manage the camel context's endpoint and routers, you can
> use JMX[1] to do that. I don't know if there some tool can help export a
> JMX managed resource as a SNMP managed resource.
>
> AFAIK, ServiceMix 's SNMP component just a component, it can help you to
> manage the ServicMix instances. If you want to managed the ServiceMix
> instance, JMX[2] is a good way to go :).
>
> For the difference of ServiceMix and Camel, I think Camel is less than a
> ESB, even it has lots of components.
> Compare to ServiceMix an ESB implementation:
> Camel doesn't have the component deployment managements and it doesn't
> implement any JBI specification. Camel is more light than ServiceMix.
> And you can deploy Camel application into the Servicemix with the help
> of servicemix-camel component to implement the EIP routings.
>
> [1] http://activemq.apache.org/camel/camel-jmx.html
> [2] http://servicemix.apache.org/jmx-console.html
>
> Willem
>
> Hilton wrote:
>> I'm currently in the process of evaluating the Camel product for our ESB
>> solution.  One of the questions that our IT department requires is
>> support
>> for SNMP.  I reviewed the documentation and perform several online search
>> and I could not find anything on configurtion of SNMP with Camel other
>> than
>> with ServiceMix.  Does anyone know if Camel support SNMP and how to
>> configure this?  Also it is my understanding that ServiceMix is another
>> ESB
>> solution, so what is the relationship between Camel and ServiceMix?
>> Would I
>> need to install both and configure both to get SNMP?

-----
Charles Moulliard
SOA Architect

My Blog :  http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com/ http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com/