Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/05 12:15:37 UTC

[POOTLE] [square bracket] To translate, or not?

Hi, I notice that Pootle interprets "[anything]" (any string in square
brackets) and #anything!, as variables. Other languages translated them,
but I notice Pootle throws severe warnings about it, and expects the
original string.

So, to translate or not?

E.g.
Sql [Native]
[None]

#NULL!
#NAME!

Re: [POOTLE] [square bracket] To translate, or not?

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
P.S. and how about this?

#object#

Is it a var? not  to transalte? –

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Andrea, I just wasn't sure, again.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 05/04/2014 Tal Daniel wrote:
>
>> Hi, I notice that Pootle interprets "[anything]" (any string in square
>> brackets) and #anything!, as variables. Other languages translated them,
>> but I notice Pootle throws severe warnings about it, and expects the
>> original string.
>>

> Pootle's warnings are, well, just warnings. At times they are just wrong.
> If you see the strings translated in our established translations, like
> German, French, Italian, then trust what others have done rather than
> Pootle: Pootle cannot know whether we are using those strings as
> placeholders or not.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

טל

Re: [POOTLE] [square bracket] To translate, or not?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.