Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by bob mcwhirter <bo...@codehaus.org> on 2004/06/13 20:11:11 UTC

Re: Why do we need POMs in repo for non-Maven projects?

Sure, but dependencies don't necessarily mean build-time stuff.

My project might depend on NonMavenProject-A, which also depends on
NonMavenProject-B.

So, I build my project against their NonMavenProject-A.jar file, and then
to *use* my project at runtime, I have to include NonMavenProject-B.jar
in my CLASSPATH.  That's where I see transitive dependencies for non-maven
projects to be nice.

Though, I can understand creating POMs might be a hassle.  Perchance we
should also allow for some simplified runtime-dependencies.txt or
something, that simply enumerates the non-maven project's runtime
dependencies?

	-bob

Bob McWhirter        bob@werken.com
The Werken Company   http://werken.com/