Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/09 07:39:09 UTC

apacheCON North America wraps up

All -

ApacheCON North America was in New Orleans this past week and there were a
number of Fineract'ers there.  Most, but not all, of the talks in the
FinTech track involved Fineract in some way.  (There were also some great
talks on devOps and keynotes on a variety of topics.)

To share some key observations that relate to the roadmap and direction of
the project:
* we have code debt in the loan modules, and a clear need to re-implement /
refactor
* we have strong test results that show fineract can scale
* fineract can be utilized as an Account Management System (AMS) in some
internal set ups
* there are a number of companies utilizing fineract whose outside work is
not making it back in, suggesting perhaps an architectural issue
* there are a number of proposals (some inconsistent with each other?) for
enhancing the fineract project

I'll help to upload to the wiki and we should see some of the outputs from
the conference show up on our wiki and in the list. The entire community
should have a chance to look and evaluate.

The roadmap and project direction should come from the PMC (project
management committee) with input and active engagement, from the broader
community.  That's my understanding based on conversations this past week.
As always, the project moves forward (or not) on the roadmap because of
contributions to the project.

It was great seeing some of you there - hopefully more will attend in
the future.  It was useful to meet up in person.

I hope others want to comment as well.

Adelante
@jdailey
Seattle

Re: apacheCON North America wraps up

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.
I just landed back home after ApacheCon, and I agree with James that it was refreshing to see how Fineract grows within the Apache Software Foundation.

ASF has more than 400 projects, and by no means were they all represented as Fineract did, with almost the entire Fintech track monopolized by our community. We had the chance to learn from other communities that are thriving and learn from them.

My observations after speaking with different contributors from communities are:

* Every community has strong leadership from a key group of contributors.

* The better communities have full-time contributors that stakeholders are paying to contribute.

* The better communities have in-list as off-list presence.

* We have the opportunity to improve our work and also need to spread the word and participate in external events representing Fineract.

* We need to have a presence in ASF functions as well.

* We need an active communications strategy, which I am volunteering to run.

The people in ApacheCon first glanced at Fineract; some knew about it, and some had their first contact last week. One thing is for sure, and we didn't go unnoticed. Momentum is here; let's take advantage and move on!

Javier.

Logo ( https://www.fiter.io )

*Javier Borkenztain* *| CEO* *e:* javier@fiter.io
*w:* fiter.io ( http://www.fiter.io )