Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> on 2020/08/04 22:17:15 UTC

Re: Unable to connect with RDP & VNC

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 1:41 PM WhiteTiger
<wh...@yahoo.it.invalid> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with a first installation of Guacamole 1.2
> On a Win 10 PC I installed UltraVNC and activated the Remote Desktop.
>
> Now from a second PC I can connect to the first PC both with the Remote
> Desktop and using RealVNC viewer.
>
> But I can't connect with guacamole installed on a third PC.
> This manages to PING, so the two PCs "see each other".
> The two configurations are very simple because I only entered the IP
> address
> and port 5900 for VNC.
> I can't understand what is missing.

A few things to check:
- Did guacd get built with VNC support?  How to build with this and verify
it depends on how you install it (native vs. Docker), but you need to make
sure you have the prerequisite packages installed for VNC support (libvnc
devel packages).
- Are any firewalls blocking communication between the system running guacd
and the system you're trying to connect to.  If that system is on the same
network as the PC that you said works correctly with RealVNC viewer, this
is unlikely, but if the guacd system is on a different network then a
firewall might be blocking the communication.
- Check log files for guacd (uses syslog, so journalctl, /var/log/messages,
or wherever your system stores its usual syslog output) and see what reason
it gives for the failure.  You can also enable debugging in guacd ("-L
debug" on the command line) to get more verbose output in syslog.

-Nick